Cupertino and Plank no longer available

Do

sudo apt-get install --reinstall plank=0.11.89-3 libplank1=0.11.89-3
sudo apt install --reinstall ubuntu-mate-desktop^

I get the same message. umnet dependencies and broken packages.

From what I can see - you have previously added a PPA from Martin Wimpress for our QA-team. It was not recommended for end-users.
So we need to determine a set of its packages, remove them and then install correct versions. I'll guide you in this process.

Please do the following:

sudo apt-get install aptitude

Then show the output of the below commands:

aptitude search ~o
dpkg -l | grep hirsute
$ aptitude search ~o
i   flacon                          - Audio file splitter and converter         
i A gcc-7-base                      - GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection (base pac
i A mac                             - monkey's audio lossless audio codec - bina
i   teamviewer                      - Remote control and meeting solution.      
i A ttaenc                          - TrueAudio (TTA) Codec - command line tool 
i   ubuntu-mate-colours-aqua        - Aqua variant of Ubuntu MATE themes        
i   ubuntu-mate-colours-blue        - Blue variant of Ubuntu MATE themes        
i   ubuntu-mate-colours-teal        - Teal variant of Ubuntu MATE themes        
i   zoom                            - Zoom Cloud Meetings                       
$ dpkg -l | grep hirsute
ii  ayatana-indicator-common                      0.8.4-2ubuntu0~hirsute1.0                  all          libayatana-indicator shared files
ii  caja                                          1.26.0-0ubuntu2~hirsute1.1                 amd64        file manager for the MATE desktop
ii  caja-common                                   1.26.0-0ubuntu2~hirsute1.1                 all          file manager for the MATE desktop (common files)
ii  gir1.2-caja-2.0:amd64                         1.26.0-0ubuntu2~hirsute1.1                 amd64        GObject introspection data for Caja
ii  gir1.2-matemenu-2.0:amd64                     1.26.0-0ubuntu2~hirsute1.0                 amd64        GObject introspection data for the MATE menu specification
ii  libayatana-indicator3-7:amd64                 0.8.4-2ubuntu0~hirsute1.0                  amd64        panel indicator applet - shared library (GTK-3+ variant)
ii  libayatana-indicator3-tools                   0.8.4-2ubuntu0~hirsute1.0                  amd64        Tools for libayatana-indicator
ii  libcaja-extension1:amd64                      1.26.0-0ubuntu2~hirsute1.1                 amd64        libraries for Caja components
ii  libmate-menu2:amd64                           1.26.0-0ubuntu2~hirsute1.0                 amd64        implementation of the freedesktop menu specification for MATE (library)
ii  libplank-common                               0.11.89-4~hirsute1.0                       all          Library to build an elegant, simple, clean dock (shared files)
ii  libplank1:amd64                               0.11.89-4~hirsute1.0                       amd64        Library to build an elegant, simple, clean dock
ii  mate-media                                    1.26.0-0ubuntu2~hirsute1.0                 amd64        MATE media utilities
ii  mate-media-common                             1.26.0-0ubuntu2~hirsute1.0                 all          MATE media utilities (common files)
ii  mate-menus                                    1.26.0-0ubuntu2~hirsute1.0                 all          implementation of the freedesktop menu specification for MATE
ii  mate-notification-daemon                      1.26.0-0ubuntu2~hirsute1.0                 amd64        daemon to display passive popup notifications
ii  mate-notification-daemon-common               1.26.0-0ubuntu2~hirsute1.0                 all          daemon to display passive popup notifications (common files)
ii  python-caja-common                            1.26.0-0ubuntu3~hirsute1.1                 all          Python binding for Caja components (common files)
ii  python3-caja                                  1.26.0-0ubuntu3~hirsute1.1                 amd64        Python3 binding for Caja components
ii  ubuntu-wallpapers-hirsute                     21.10.1-0ubuntu1                           all          Ubuntu 21.04 Wallpapers

I have just tested the following hack on my VM:

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/qa-team
sudo sed -i "s/impish/hirsute/g" /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu-mate-dev-ubuntu-qa-team-impish.list
sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/qa-team

and then run

Ok. Done. Do I reboot or log out and in?

I no longer get the error message in synaptic when checking PLANK for install. I have not installed, but now the error no longer appears.

To get all things to correct state the below command

would be enough.

It's been working while now and I got a Low Disk message for root. Hope it works. Anything I can do right now to free up space. My root is 30gb.

OK - now it's finished.
Thanks so very much. You are amazing.

You are welcome. Next time, please be careful with PPA selection :slight_smile:

3 Likes