Customising lightdm

hello,

First off, I’m really loving Ubuntu Mate so far.

one thing I would like to do is change the greeter so that you type a name instead of picking from a list.

I found some guidance on ubuntuforums.com suggesting that the following lines be added to /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

[SeatDefaults]
greeter-setup-script = /usr/local/bin/lightdm-default-user
greeter-hide-users = true
greeter-show-manual-login = true

Ubuntu mate doesn’t have that file, but it does have /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf. I notice that this file is the one that gets amended if you change settings using the GUI greeter configuration tool.

However putting the code above into this file has no effect and I still get the user list.
Typing “locate lightdm | grep conf” results in a baffling array of config files, presumably one of these is the right one to edit?

Any thoughts gratefully received. Thanks!

Untried by me, but I have found a variation that looks feasible. Just need to add /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d

Also, I see spaces in yours. Not sure about that.

greeter-hide-users=true
greeter-show-manual-login=true

2 Likes

Thankyou @anon42388993, that guidance worked for me. Not sure why I need to create another new .conf file in another new folder, but anyhow it worked!

Also, the bit at the end about restarting the lightdm service was useful - none of the other instructions I found mentioned this bit.

Much appreciated.

2 Likes