Default password

Apologies for this question because it has been asked before… I have just installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04.1 LTS on a raspberry pi 3 and can’t configure anything because it asks me for a password, and none of obvious passwords work. All I find on the forums about this is that Ubuntu Mate doesn’t have a default password and that it will ask you on first boot. However, it doesn’t ask me on first boot, and I have recreated the image four times now on two different processors. So I am at a loss. It’s a shame because it Ubuntu Mate has so many nice features compared to Raspbian, but if I can’t get past this little hurdle it may be hello and goodbye.

That’s strange. I installed it on my pi3 and it acted exactly as advertised: image the SD card, plug it into the pi, boot. First boot comes up with the config screen and you set up your account on there.

The one I got is called “ubuntu-mate-16.04-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi.img” and I got it from https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/

The installation was as per the instructions: unpack and write image to SD card using unxz and gnome-disk-utility, safe eject the SD card and put it into your pi, boot the pi with keyboard/mouse/screen attached, waaaiiiit, set up config wizard.

That sounds like the exact process I followed. I waaaiiiit ed as you said, but there was no config wizard. It’s as if the image that I downloaded has already been configured by somebody else and the password is already set. I will try and download it again and see if I happened to have downloaded a bad version.

Your other option is to go into the system in single-user mode and force a root password change.

I’d try the clean image thing first though as it never hurts to be sure you’ve got the right one.

Fixed it, it was a version problem on my own computer. Thanks all for your advice.

1 Like