Desktop area smaller than monitor resolution

Hi to all, sorry for the title but I couldn't find a better sentence.
My problem is that I have a 1792x1020 monitor resolution and works fine, but if I place icons in the area outside the red border, in the image attached, when I reboot the system the icons are messed up with other icons inside the red border, just near the border but inside.
Any solution?

I too have been using for many years "exotic" screen resolutions.

Alongside me noticing the 1/3 of my screen sometimes disappearing quite often.

And have also seen a lot of wicked screen redraws that I couldn't explain here and now.

But lately my on-and-off display problems have been more related to the applications being minimized at the top hand-left bar (when you minimize or maximize, a full "redraw" happens and the status bar at the bottom glitches.)

I see your monitor is a non-standard 23" so you and are we are brothers =)

But sadly you didn't told us much about your system. Namely: were all of your updates applied and on what version are you?

1 Like

You are right DLS, I apologize. I wrote my post quickly and I forgot to say the system details.
Ubuntu Mate 22.04.3, kernel 5.15.0-86, cpu AMD 3200 4 cores.
Ok, i'm not very experienced with screen resolutions, but can you explain why you say "exotic resolutions"?
May be I can change to some more standard screen reslution?
Thx a lot for you answer.

no way to fix my problem?

(if available) can you try with another monitor that can do 1920x1080 resolution?

I suspect there are some calculations and the 1792 makes rounding harder.

1 Like

Hi Pavlos, you was right. with 1920x1080 the icons doesn't change position.
Unfortunately I can't use that resolution, the image quality is very poor and the refresh is too slow.

1 Like

what video card (gpu) do you have?

inxi -G

luca@pc-sala:~$ inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Picasso/Raven 2 [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Mobile Series]
    driver: amdgpu v: kernel
  Device-2: Logitech Logitech Webcam C925e type: USB
    driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu,ati
    unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa gpu: amdgpu resolution: 1792x1020~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics (raven LLVM 15.0.7 DRM 3.42
  5.15.0-86-generic)
    v: 4.6 Mesa 23.0.4-0ubuntu1~22.04.1

1 Like

The issue is with the specific Goldstar 23" monitor since it cannot provide a 1920x1080x60 resolution.

Do you have the monitor model#?

1 Like

I looked for Goldstar 24TK410D but did not find any good info. My suggestion is to use another monitor that is capable of 1920x1080x60 and you should be fine with Mate.

you must look for it as LG, not Goldstar.

It is 4 years old, not so young, but it works fine.

According to LG, the resolution is 1366x768. I dont know how you pushed the res to 1792x1020~60Hz (which is an odd resolution). Something is not right but there is no way to troubleshoot from here.

2 Likes

Ok Pavlos, I understand. Thx a lot.
Just for info, it works well up to 1904x1065x60 :smile: :smile: :smile:

1 Like

According to the specs, the thing is a TV, not a monitor.
Most TV's accept higher resolutions and internally scale it down to the native resolution of the screen (1366x768).

Setting a higher resolution than native is ofcourse throwing away a lot of GPU/CPU power without any gain.

EDIT: link to the specs

1 Like

I hope @smurf reads this ... I know TVs handle video differently than monitors.

Thanks Thom

2 Likes

Yes I know that TV is not the same than PC Monitor, but LG has many solutions and in my case I recently realized that I missed a config step in my monitor. I found a switch in config that is needed when connecting a PC on HDMI (my case). Accordingly with LG specs that switch is required to let the monitor use the real resolution from PC.
I setted the switch and now I have full 1920x1080x60 without loosing image quality.
The problem is that the icons placed in the area close to the right and bottom border are still moved to the left or up when I close and reopen my account.