I've been managing more than 500 RPIs 3B running Ubuntu Mate 16.04.1 for more than a year now.
No updates (they run on local networks without Internet access), everything works just fine.
I recently created a new image based on 16.04.2 with all packages up to date.
Since then, some RPIs are randomly freezing when desktop starts:
- Screen is either:
- Displaying my wallpaper
- Displaying my wallpaper but darker (freeze happening during the fade-in transition I guess?)
- Mouse is responsive (cursor is a "X" cross)
- I can't open a terminal using Ctrl+Alt+T...
- ...but SSH is working & I can log in
- Any command needing an access to the X server (xrandr, mate-screenshot...) just hangs, doing absolutely nothing (having run
export DISPLAY=:0 before)
I didn't find anything special in X or lightdm logs and have no clue where to start looking next.
Two days of Googling & testing haven't been helping much.
Only thing I've found so far is that restarting lightdm service properly restarts the desktop.
sudo service lightdm stop; sudo service lightdm start)
Could anyone help me on this one please?