Different File Managers

Sure ! I first tried with Nautilus in Unity :grin: Works fine !
But anyway, what file manager could be better than Caja in Mate Desktop ?
Have you experienced this ?
I have friend who even use Dolphin (great one !) in XFCE - But i never liked to mix up different DE and File Manager. However i used Kdenlive Krita and some others great kde’s natives softwares - Which means anyway - i do mix dependencies … woks fine … But manage Desktop …

IMO there are many good FM’s. PCmanFM impresses me for its speed, MidnightCommander for a no fuss get the job done. I use Nemo just because I have used it for years, its what Nautilus use to be :slight_smile:

I’ll say Caja also looks like old Nautilus …
May i ask how did you installed Nemo in UM ? Without Cinnamon Dependencies ? :relieved:

I install right out of our repositories, could be installed without recommended packages. I don't care or see a problem with a few extra recommends. Not much coming from cinnamon, just one package.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/nemo

Too bad that in Caja, on a mouse with 5 buttons, the back/forward buttons don’t work. It would be nice if they would fix this bug.

The thing is not a bug it is not supported . But in Mate 1.18 it is . See http://mate-desktop.org/blog/2017-03-13-mate-1-18-released/

1 Like

It is a bug because it works only when the view is set to ‘Icon’, with ‘List’ view the buttons don’t work. But it’s nice to know that it will be functional in the latest Mate.

Thanks ! I have tried once with unity …

So then you are able to handle desktop without missing anything?

Desktop is fine, both caja and nemo is working well :slight_smile:

@anon42388993, re Nemo vs Nautilus: does Nemo let you configure what is shown in the sidebar?

Aside from the continuing dumb-down progression in Nautilus/Caja, with icons for this and icons for that, the biggest annoyance i find with Nautilus/Caja is that there seems no control over what is shown in the sidebar.

The whole “computer” section which lists desktop, downloads, pictures, movies… that is just useless and shifts the bookmarks section down for no real value imo.

Yes it will.

Cool, will it stull run scripts like nautilus/caja? I can install it to find out, but it doesn’t hurt to ask, i hope.

Did somebody fork nautilus and keep developing it without the prettyup-dumbdown? That would be Most Cool. It’s pretty clear that’s what happened with the old gnome-panel, if i haven’t been daydreaming again. thx.

I think its time to put you in better hands. Our resident Nemo answer provider @tiox :slight_smile:

He has several threads on the subject.

https://ubuntu-mate.community/search?q=nemo

Check it out and let us know.

Okay, you wanted to know… i clicked your search and looked at the thread titles, and within a few seconds decided that i’ll just stick with nautilus/caja for now. That’s not intended to deprecate this or that, but what i have works and i’ll be rolling a different one altogether as soon as i get enough of a codebase ported… one thing i don’t need is more issues to deal with, and it looks like i better just forget about more/better linux apps and write more code using what i have. :wink:

Thanks for your patience, sorry for trying it.

Not true. Your not trying my patience.

Tiox gets into the nuts and bolts of it. I do not. Caja is fully installed as default on my system and Nemo has a launcher in my panel. My system settings remain at default for Caja and this works fine for me. I do not need Nemo in control of my desktop. Most others would prefer that Nemo control the desktop, I simply first launch Nemo.

So anyhow, thats why I go to tiox on this :slight_smile:

Later :wave:

…My God. I sure did write quite a bit about Nemo, alone.

Welp, whatever @crankypuss needs help with he can always directly refer to me, if my articles were not sufficient enough.

@anon42388993 It’s not that I am “The Nemo expert”, though I sort of became that when figuring out for days on end how everything was broken. I just like how it looks and functions, and it works well enough as a drop-in replacement. That, and it’s more familiar to users of Linux Mint Cinnamon.

Thanks guys. I’m just trying to get some stuff done here, and nautilus/caja is letting me do it. Nemo might or might not end up saving me time, but it’s time to crank code instead of tweaking the platform, the platform already meets min-spec but my code does not, on accounta not having been written yet. :slight_smile:

And its all good stuff :slight_smile: Thanks for the reply.