Disable "organize desktop by name" option

Is there a way to disable this? When I want to open terminal, I click on it occasionally and it f*cks up all my desktop arrangement.

ss

Code would suggest it's hardcoded to show when right clicking the desktop. There is no option to turn it off.

The only way to suppress it would be take a copy of the source code, remove the line(s) and re-compile/install your own copy of Caja.

Although, another perspective -- there should be space around the separator (dark line) in the theme, which would add padding around "Open in Terminal" amongst other options. I actually patched this a month or so ago, but it will only be available in the upcoming 19.10.

To use the updated Ambiant-MATE theme, get a copy of the latest ubuntu-mate-artwork repository and copy the contents of usr/share/themes/ to ~/.local/share/themes (it's a hidden folder in your home directory, press CTRL+H to toggle them). That separator should help when you next miss by a few pixels :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks, that helped a lot.

ss

I have also been occasionally frustrated by that "Organize Desktop by Name" option, and the facts that (1) the menu option cannot be removed, (2) there is no "Are you sure" dialog before applying.

Personally I can't see how automatically organizing the desktop by a such an inconsequential attribute as "name" can be so useful a feature as to deserve a top level line in the contextual menu. Hardly more relevant than, for instance, file size, length of name-string, icon colour, or any other arbitrary sorting criteria.

Anyway, I have made a little python3 script that first saves the current (desired) desktop layout to a file, and later (if needed) restores the layout by automatically moving all icons back to their desired positions. Here is the Github link: https://github.com/moof-moof/Icon-pycon

2 Likes

after 4 years that still frustrates me :frowning:

1 Like