Disabling nvidia driver logging errors

With the nvidia-driver-418, vlc cannot continue to play a video once you've switched to another user, even if you paused the video before switching. This is annoying, but I can live with it.

What I find harder to live with is the way that ~/.xsession-errors then fills up with many, many gigabytes of error messages along the lines of "vdpau_chroma filter error".

Is there any way to stop this? I am currently trying to use

nvidia-smi -f /dev/null

and if this doesn't work, I may have to resort to noveau unless playing games...

To recreate:

Start watching a video in vlc with user #1
Pause the video
Switch user to user #2
Switch user to user #1
vlc will now display a black screen and you need to 'stop', 'play' and 'resume' to resume at the same point.

Ubuntu-MATE 19.04, with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti card, nvidia-driver-418 package for the driver. Logging is turned off in vlc.

It turns out that if you squish ~/.xsession-errors, /var/log/syslog ends up being filled up instead:

Sep 30 03:05:50 punch org.mate.panel.applet.MateMenuAppletFactory[2274]: [00007f215801a570] vdpau_chroma filter error: video mixer rendering failure: An invalid handle value was provided. Sep 30 03:05:50 punch org.mate.panel.applet.MateMenuAppletFactory[2274]: [00007f215801a570] vdpau_chroma filter error: video mixer features failure: An invalid handle value was provided. Sep 30 03:05:50 punch org.mate.panel.applet.MateMenuAppletFactory[2274]: [00007f215801a570] vdpau_chroma filter error: video mixer attributes failure: An invalid handle value was provided. Sep 30 03:05:50 punch org.mate.panel.applet.MateMenuAppletFactory[2274]: [00007f215801a570] vdpau_chroma filter error: video mixer rendering failure: An invalid handle value was provided.

I'm happy to redirect the former to /dev/null, but I'm not doing that to syslog.

So how do I stop this happening?

The ideal would be to have the nvidia driver actually not have problems when in a background user. It's not actually showing %^&*ing actual video: it was paused, but still goes to black screen and all these errors.

But I'd take not filling up one or other log file with them.