Discovered a correlate with the windows decoration bug in compiz

some time ago, I made mention on here about the windows decoration being a but buggy in Compiz. Specifically, with regards to the close/minimize/maximize buttons disappearing. And most commonly with Firefox windows. This problem is more of an irritant than a show stopper and can be resolved, at least in my case, by minimizing and then maximising the window by pressing on the panel button for the window.

However, this evening, I have noticed a specific set of actions that will guarantee to cause the buttons to disappear:

If a Firefox window is open but minimised to the panel. If I then open a new Firefox location by double clicking a launch icon (on, say, the desktop), this will force the existing open (but minimized) Firefox window to unminimize with a second tab that is displaying the launcher link I just doubled clicked. However, at this point, the windows buttons have disappeared. Again, this is fixed by clicking the panel button for the window to minimize it and then again to maximize it,. At which point, the buttons are there again.

I just thought I would mention this as this is the first time I have actually been able to predict when the buttons disappear. Hopefully, it might give some clues (to people more knowledgeable than me) as to the underlying mechanisms behind ths bug.

3 Likes

See video below:

Just thought I would given an interesting update to the issue I have experienced with compiz window decorations in firefox;

I have, today, been changing all of my internet launchers to various sites from Firefox to Chromium. The main reason being a sudden increase in Firefox refusing to play flash video (I’d be interested if others have noticed this sudden increase as well). The only way to get them to play is to keep refreshing the page and keep trying to play the video. It usually plays ball abut the third or fourth refresh. So, something clearly a bit weird going on with Firefox and flash at the moment.

Anyway, having installed Chromium browser and having changed a few of my launchers, I suddenly noticed that the issue with disappearing windows decorations in Firefox is just not happening with Chromium. Which is great!

I don’t have a clue as to why, though.

We get the in the end. The solution is to goto CCSM > Utility > Workarounds > “Keep previews of minimized windows” > Enable. Taken from the comment below.

I have submitted a merge proposal upstream.

1 Like