Do Ubuntu Mate Need an Antivirus

For me linux more vulnerable to MITM attacks . Tried exploiting my laptop with Dspoit , Csploit and WifiKill for Android . All MITM exploits work on Linux :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, that sounds like a lot of potential chaos, @IvCHo ā€¦ :open_mouth:

This hacker site has a resent article that puts it into perspective.

It seems (I canā€™t find it at least) that the free Linux version of Avast is no longer available unless you use the Server edition?. :frowning:

Itā€™s here:

http://avast-linux-home-edition.en.uptodown.com/ubuntu/download

1 Like

Thanks Steve, I was looking for a current version. :smiley:

Sorry. This was the only version I could find. I installed this on my PC and it did an update. When I get home tonight, Iā€™ll check the details and post them.

It is version 1.3.0. When I installed it, the virus definitions upgraded to 16 February 2016, then to 17 February 2016.

1 Like

Thanks Steve, I donā€™t really need it as I have ClamAV installed and very seldom switch files between Linux and Windblows, it is nice to know it is available though!. :smiley:

3 Likes

Bumping; didnā€™t want to make another thread. Has anyone every tried Sophos for Linux? I tried to see online reviews for Linux but there arenā€™t any. I tried clam but it hangs. Iā€™m asking because I donā€™t know how to spot spyware or malware on Linux computer.

Hallo

Yes I tried to install Sophos. I gave up. I found it to require knowledge I did not have. I suspect a system administrator would find it easy. We have non-Linux computers in the family and they run Sophos, which was easily installed on those platforms.

I use the ESET product.

If you connect to the internet you need to understand that you will be exposed to risk, depending what you do and how you do it. I would advise GNU/Linux users to run security software.

Think about thisā€¦
The Linux kernel is at the heart of your computer. It is also at the heart of many corporate computing infrastructures, including web-servers and a large part of the so-called cloud. That is a target worth writing malware for if you have criminal/spying intent.
If Linux-focused malware was very sophisticatedā€¦ and GNU/Linux users did not generally use security softwareā€¦ thenā€¦ who would really be able to say what was going on?

The dark side has its own motivations. If you fail to acknowledge their abilities you may be exposing yourself to unwanted risks. :robot:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Well, it seems iā€™ve gotta dig deeper into this topic. Happy Christmas to you alpinejohn. :+1:

Hallo

This is recent (2017) information, giving a small insight as to the vulnerability of any operating system. Some of you may find this interestingā€¦

Being informed is the first step. :slight_smile:

So does the group then have a recommendation for an AV for UM for the home user?