Do Ubuntu Mate Need an Antivirus

I was so confuse with the post in web regarding above matter. Some say you don’t want any security program since all the bad stuff only written for Windows platform. Some say otherwise. So i need help from our community to decide this. :innocent:

Do i need to install Antivirus or any other security software for my UBUNTU MATE ?
If yes what will be the best application. (should be opensource)

Thanks

There are virus for linux . But they are few . Does there is no linux antivirus software to run in realtime and scan for viruses . My prefer is to install clam-av and its graphical frontend to just check third party apps . it may find malware in third party apps but don’t worry but don’t worry it is windows malware no harm to you (mainly propriotary apps). Alse you need to check third party scripts for suspicious code . (Like commands like “rm -rf /” and other things) . Hope the answear was helpfull .

Hi @Buddhika_Jayasingha,

Although it is nearly impossible to become “infected” by anything which can do your system any real harm, our Linux systems can, at times, be carriers of such critters, i.e., your sent email.

Moreover, we get a new kernel so often that bad code hardly stands a chance of catching up; but mainly, it is the way in which the architecture of our file system stands up to threats - the bad guys have insurmountable hassles getting in.

I run Wine (Playonlinux), to use a mandatory Windows program; and that, theoretically - being a Windows go-between - could leave a door open for critters. This is why I also have ClamAV installed, and I run it once a week. Clam is all that free and open souce is going to offer - and it should be all that you would ever need - if you even need anything. The are two packages - plus an add-on - that makes up the part of ClamAV which you would be using.

Let us know if you have any questions; and below is a bit of info. :smiley:

The chances of catching viruses are extremely low. Like said, there are very few in the wild. I’d say it’s less of needing an antivirus and more being careful of what you do on the computer. Adding random repositories, following malicious instructions not knowing what they do, untrustworthy software, weak passwords or falling for a phishing attack is what could infect a Linux system.

Even then, Linux comes in many shapes and sizes… Android malware won’t work on Ubuntu for instance, nor is there such thing as sudo on other distros like Red Hat.

In my opinion, a web browser exploit from a dodgy website is more likely then programs being infected, even then, the exploit may be for Windows.

I personally don’t use an antivirus. Antivirus can be debated, but it all boils down to opinion if you see the need for one.

Some quote said:

Why write a virus to knock out a few hundred desktops, when a server could knock out an entire continent?

1 Like

@IvCHo Thanks for the tip. I tried Clam-av but it was stuck and did nothing. always troubling.

@mated Thanks for the info. Like i said i used Clam-Av just for one day (it was install by mistake while following some web post instruction) . It wasn’t good impression for me. But i think i"ll go like @lah7 said. No antivirus. i was scared about malware and thanks to you guys now i’m confident about my Linux UBUNTU MATE System.

:innocent: Long Live the MATE !

Thank you @MATE2 and @lah7

3 Likes

Malware is Windows and OS X stuff . Not Linuxes :grinning: (Exept the original Ubuntu with Unity[The internet resaults in scopes])

I have never had any malware problems with Linux installations, but I saw Sophos AV for free so I run it on Ubuntu-Mate 14.04 with no problems. It automatically checks for updates hourly and provides on-access protection.

I never never feel the need to use an antivirus, either, except to protect my emails from, potentially, 'carrying' a virus over to the receiver (I explained above).

By the way, the box that the arrow is pointing to - probably just needed unchecking, for Clam to work correctly for you; it stumps half the people who download it into thinking that their software is messed up. :dizzy_face:

Exploring the universe of Linux can be exciting! :yum:

i installed sophos once and don’t know where it went since i cannot find it via package manager.

Thanks @IvCHo and @mated

I just did my weekly ClamAV scan, and look here: a TROJAN

Why don't you just try ClamAV again; you have download two packages, plus an add-on; and then uncheck the box I showed you (above)

Hmmm windows trojan . Wath effect will it give on linux

@IvCHo, as the post states, above, I care about whether or not the emails, which I send to non-Linux users, are corrupted.

In keeping with ethical business protocol, most Linux users in the business world do this. :joy:

Quoted from this Ubuntu 15.10 Official Documentation: "You may, however, wish to scan your email for viruses in case you happen to forward a virus from one person to another."

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/net-email-virus.html

That is a good idea my friend ! :yum::smile:

1 Like

Just so anyone viewing this knows, after looking up the Trojan, it was disclosed that this one is a false positive.

Either way, it doesn’t have much to do with Linux users - just everyone who may be exposed to a critter we email out.

Did you try launching it via the terminal - typing in just sophos? :neutral_face:

One of my friend send me this link.

Russian Hackers Spying On Your Linux PC Using Sophisticated Malware “Fysbis”

_new malware family known as Fysbis (or Linux.BackDoor.Fysbis) is aiming Linux machines by setting up a backdoor that allows the malware’s author to snoop on victims and perform further attac_ks.

Click here to view full article

Avast anyone?:

http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-install-and-update-avast-antivirus-in-ubuntu

None of the download links are valid - no longer available, I suppose?

Well, still - fortunately, for an individual user, things should remain safe enough. The bad guys are counting on several weak links to be at play which are, commonly, the norm at an enterprise level.

Not to be too cocky but, we, save for a tiny few of us - if at all, do not have the gateway to goodies, which they are looking to exploit, temptingly hanging out on our personal machines. :dizzy_face:

I should hope that the revelations, discussed in this article, have long been embraced by the cyber security world - at large, and per individual instances. :mask: :space_invader:

It does serve a message that there are generally going be issues, even in the relatively secure universe of Linux, which make it requisite to get to know our machines, and what they doing. :construction_worker:

Thanks for posting @Buddhika_Jayasingha.