Documenters Assemble!

Open source projects always have documentation needs, and Ubuntu MATE is no different. We have some awesome :star2: people like @goinglinux , the author of our guide, and our new volunteers from the most recent Hacktoberfest, who decided to stay on to the project. And we can always use more! If you've ever written a tutorial for Ubuntu MATE, or have thought of writing one, or if you want to help out our upstreams and write documentation for the MATE desktop :mate: or Ubuntu, or if you have another awesome documentation idea :bulb:, you are exactly who we want.

If you're interested, just respond to this topic, and we'll have a quick meetup the first week of December to talk about current goals and your thoughts for the future. Thanks for your patience - this month got extremely busy before I knew it - and I look forward to chatting with you soon! :left_speech_bubble:

4 Likes

Hi I can help if you are still looking.

Pete

4 Likes

Thank you for your reply! Is there any particular area of documentation you're interested in? I saw you did some really great work on the deja dup bug in 20.04, and while I don't know about deja dup's current documentation needs (I didn't see any open issues tagged with documentation in their GitLab repo), but it looks like duplicity, which they're a wrapper for, could use some documentation help, as it's a bit sparse at present (https://duplicity.readthedocs.io/en/latest/duplicity.html). And any improvement to upstream documentation not only helps Ubuntu MATE, but a lot of other distros/flavors as well.

2 Likes

Hi,

No nothing in particular. Im happy to do whatever anyone else doesnt want to. Just log me some work and give me some direction as to what you want and I will start sometime next week and you can review how it went and if everyone is happy just carry on from there.

I looked at the link you said had not much and didnt really see anything at all. Can you provide examples of what its supposed to look like so I can know what I am working towards?

Kind regards,
Pete

2 Likes

Hey are you able to let me know on the above sometime? I cant really do anything without any direction at all...

1 Like

Hi there! Sorry, the start of this week was just ridiculously front-loaded, so I couldn't quite reply.

The upstream documentation was just an idea/suggestion, and if it's not something you're interested in, that's fine! But if you did want to help duplicity fill their documentation out, you'd want to get in touch with their community. Sorry for any confusion this caused. And I'll have the link to our preliminary documentation roadmap up soon, if you really just wanted to help with strictly Ubuntu MATE things.

1 Like

Hmm alright I think I got the wrong impression. I thought there was a need for some help with documenting on MATE but I see thats not the case :slight_smile:

As I kind of value my time and have other things I can occupy myself in the community with, I will withdraw my offer to assist at this time. I dont really want to go off to a completely different community upstream (duplicity), and announce I am here to do their documentation for them. That sounds a bit weird so will just monitor here from time to time and see if anything else ever comes up. Im sure I can find other projects who have a more pressing need anyway for assistance in some regard.

Thanks anyway. Best of luck with your endeavours :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
Pete

1 Like