DOSBox OUTdated, please use the WINE strategy

Hi,

DOSBox is really outdated, although 074.3 is the latest stable version, the gap between 'stable' and 'svn' has become enormous.

The DOSBox diskspace requirements are laughable, the binaries are only ~4mb. Packaging should not be that complex (1 binary, 1 configuration). A bi-weekly update like WINE, should be more than sufficient. And if I look at WINE, I can see multiple (10+) packages, so this could be a nice addition for DOSBox.

I could bow and grovel to anyone willing to implement this, but since I have a weak knee :roll_eyes: and am way too cool for those ancient practices. I would hereby humbly request :innocent: to add the following packages to the repository:

• dosbox-svn (to experience the latest goodies)
    ./configure
  • dosbox-svn-debug (since DOSBox bug reports are only accepted if also present in the svn)
    ./configure --enable-debug=heavy

Thanks mates!

EDIT: The official SVN repo:
https://sourceforge.net/p/dosbox/code-0/HEAD/tree/

If it helps, it seems there's a couple of Snaps that might be particularly useful here.

DOSBox Staging in particular? Might solve your version woes! :smiley:

Thanks Schykle :innocent: , but staging's debugger is broken.
And in order to report bugs you need the SVN.
I compile them myself on a regular basis, but these should be in UM, just like wine.

Well that was a bit unfair to everyone , I forgot to mention how to compile and install dosbox-svn :blush:

In order to compile dosbox-svn follow these steps:

1. Install required packages
    sudo apt install autoconf subversion libncurses libncurses-dev libsdl1.2 libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-net1.2 libsdl-net1.2-dev

2. Download the source code
    svn checkout https://svn.code.sf.net/p/dosbox/code-0/dosbox/trunk /dev/shm/dosbox-svn
    cd /dev/shm/dosbox-svn

Compiling the default version:

1. Compile steps:
    ./autogen.sh
    make clean
    ./configure
    make -j$(nproc)

2. Install dosbox-svn
    sudo strip --strip-unneeded /dev/shm/dosbox-svn/src/dosbox -o /usr/local/bin/dosbox-svn

3. Start dosbox-svn
    dosbox-svn

4. Inside dosbox-svn, write a new config with:
    config -writeconf dosbox-svn.conf
    exit

5. Redirect the mapperfile to dosbox-svn.map
    sed 's,^mapperfile.*,mapperfile=dosbox-svn.map,' $HOME/.dosbox/dosbox-svn.conf

6. Then write an easy alias to "$HOME/.bash_aliases"
    echo "function dosbox-svn(){ /usr/local/bin/dosbox-svn -conf "$HOME/.dosbox/dosbox-svn.conf\" \${1:-.};}" >> "$HOME/.bash_aliases"

Compiling the debug version:

1. Compile debug version:
    ./autogen.sh
    make clean
    ./configure --enable-debug=heavy
    make -j$(nproc)

2. Install dosbox-svn-debug
    sudo strip --strip-unneeded /dev/shm/dosbox-svn/src/dosbox -o /usr/local/bin/dosbox-svn-debug

3. Start dosbox-svn-debug
    dosbox-svn-debug

4. Inside dosbox-svn, write a new config with:
    config -writeconf dosbox-svn-debug.conf
    exit

5. Redirect the mapperfile to dosbox-svn-debug.map
    sed 's,^mapperfile.*,mapperfile=dosbox-svn-debug.map,' $HOME/.dosbox/dosbox-svn-debug.conf

6. Then write an easy alias to "$HOME/.bash_aliases"
    echo "function dosbox-svn-debug(){ /usr/local/bin/dosbox-svn -conf \"$HOME/.dosbox/dosbox-svn-debug.conf\" \${1:-.};}" >> "$HOME/.bash_aliases"

Now you can start 'dosbox-svn' and 'dosbox-svn-debug' and it will automap the current directory, unless one is specified. (dont forget to start a new terminal)

This was all I could do to move this forward :innocent: and the reason why packaging would be much more convenient.

That should do it!

1 Like

With the use of some scripting, or motivated people,
It can be used like this: https://streamable.com/jw9c3n :smiley: