Double monitor, double controls

Having a dual monitor, notebook and external, I would like to have the possibility to have another person use the computer. I could share the laptop but I did not find a way to have an independent mouse and keyboard. Is there a solution or could you implement it?
Bye, thanks.

I don’t think this is natively possible (with any computer as far as I know, but I could be wrong).

The only thing I can think of is a combination of a KVM switch along with either a nested Xserver or a VM…

1 Like

What you need to search for is “multiseat”. For example, here’s a Ubuntu wiki page, but it’s outdated: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multiseat

An alternate option could be to use virtualization software like VirtualBox and install the Extension Pack (to enable USB support) so you can attach a separate USB keyboard & mouse to another OS.

The only downside to this is that you’re essentially running another computer, so you’ll need to allocate sufficient resources like RAM (memory), disk space, etc.

1 Like

The keyboard works correctly but the mouse does not show the cursor inside the virtual machine. Have you tried to apply the method? Does it work for you?

For that, you’ll need to disable Mouse Integration, which can be done from the Input menu when it’s running. The first time might still be invisible until the cursor “changes” (e.g. start an application where it turns into a loading cursor), or try restarting the VM.

Failing that, you can change the VM’s pointing device to “PS/2 mouse” (it’s under the System tab)