Drivers for dedicated graphic card

Hello,

Model: NP350E7C-S07PL

How to choose by myself dedicated graphic card for applications?

Example:

• integrated for web browser etc.
  • dedidated for gimp, games in steam, games in playonlinux etc.

I am not sure but I think system see nvidia - why? if i have amd

You can check what the system sees with the command lspci

According to the specs I find with the model you gave, it seems like it has an AMD RadeonHD mobile GPU, though it’s possible that variants with the same reference would have a different GPU, like nVidia. In the case of an AMD GPU, you likely have only one possibility for the driver: Mesa/Radeon, which is the free open source driver and already used by default. Please also give the output of the following command:

glxinfo | grep OpenGL

(You’ll have to install the mesa-utils package for glxinfo if it’s not already installed.)

There’s also a proprietary AMD driver (AMDGPU-PRO) but:
a) it’s not in the Ubuntu repository and still in development;
b) I don’t think it handles your GPU model (only newer generations, especially as it’s a mobile GPU).

~$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile 
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.0.7
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Thames [Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series] (rev ff)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 09)
03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

Ok. I misunderstood your initial message. The situation is a bit more complicated than I thought: you have a dual GPU (or hybrid) setup: an Intel GPU used for basic usage (i.e. desktop software) and an AMD RadeonHD 7500M or 7600M used when you need better specs (i.e. games). By default, the Intel GPU is used so that you have a longer battery life and when more power is needed (launching a game), the laptop is supposed to switch on the AMD GPU. Glxinfo confirms that you’re currently on the Intel GPU.

I’m not really familiar with this kind of setup, especially with AMD GPUs. Intel/nVidia dual setups have Bumblebee/Optimus but I’m not sure what is the equivalent for AMD.

Note that if you search for infos on Google about this (something like “amd hybrid graphics ubuntu”), you might find old messages saying to use the Catalyst proprietary driver to handle the switch automatically. The development of Catalyst (also known as fglrx) has stopped just before the release of Ubuntu 16.04 and if you find an old version, don’t try to install it on a recent Ubuntu, it won’t be compatible and you will break your system. Some docs also talk about vga_switcheroo but it seems to have been removed from recent kernels.

It’s possible that there is currently no way to make the OS automatically switch to the AMD GPU on hybrid setups. I’ve found a video that explains how to switch the GPU manually but it’s not very convenient to do this.

I’m not really able to help you more on this, as I’ve never used a hybrid setup, maybe there’s someone around who has more experience about this.

I understand. Too bad.

Maybe in diffrent way.
I have installed the game in PlayOnLinux and working - PathOfExile.
In the graphical settings I have only to choose integrated graphics.
I would like to set up a dedicated graphics card. What is solution?

Thanks and regards.