Dual boot with Windows 7/UEFI

All,
I’ve run into a snag. I recently built a new gaming machine with an Asus Z97-AR motherboard. I initially installed Windows 7 not realizing Secure Boot was on by default. For the past few months I’ve been running Ubuntu Mate 15.04 in a virtual machine on this Windows 7 install and am ready to do away with the VM and attempt a dual boot of Ubuntu Mate 15.04 with Windows 7. I tried booting into the Live USB and began the process of installing Ubuntu along side Windows 7 but I got the error message “this machines firmware has started the installer in uefi mode…blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda”. I went into the BIOS/UEFI and cleared the secure boot keys and now secure boot is disabled. When I attempted to start the install again to install along side Windows I still get the same error message. I even chose to “go back” instead of continuing with UEFI mode in the installer but it still does not detect the existing Windows install.
How do I get around this? How do I install Ubuntu along side Windows 7 in a dual boot mode?
Thanks.

Hi,

take a look here:

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2014/05/install-ubuntu-1404-alongside-windows.html

I hope it helps!. :smiley:

1 Like

Awesome. Thank you very much.

1 Like

Hi,

please mark as solved so it helps others if it helped you!. :smiley:

Have marked as solved with the “Solution Button”!. :smiley: