Dual-booting ubuntu MATE / any distribution

Hello!
I am somewhat new to Linux, but not a total newbie. I do know some things here and there, but I’m here to ask this: Does dual-booting a distro with another, both with a shared home partition, work?

And if you have any tips, they are appreciated. :smiley:

Hi Coli,

It does indeed work, however, would not recommend it due to the possibility of config changes from different versions of software on each system installed. It can cause applications to fail to start. I would recommend having a separate partition for shared files and leave the home partitions alone.

Hope this helps :smile:

@uid0 That is understandable, however, would using a different username on the second distro viable?
I’m looking for a way to do distro-hopping easily and keeping my data… With a shared /home, I can transfer my main account data to the secondary (using sudo) I hope you understand what I mean.

Edited the last post because of spelling mistakes.

A separate partition for your shared files would be better than actually sharing your /home mountpoint. So have for example on a 500GB HD:

Partition 1 (Ubuntuu) ~50GB
Partition 2 (Ubuntu MATE) ~50GB
Partition 3 (Shared data) ~400GB

Ah I see, but from my experience (live USB looking at the installed files) it does not work well, but I guess it has to deal with usernames and permissions. (live trying to look at coli’s files)
I’ll try it out in a virtual machine first, before anything.
Thank you for the suggestion!

Just make sure that you use the same username and user id on both distros, this should fix the permissions problem. Or you could just chown -R the directory each time you boot the alternate distro.