DualBooting on the Pi 2

Not asking anything related to tech support or issues … I was just wondering (knowing that it may not be something on Ubuntu Mate’s end but rather something such as Noobs adding Ubuntu Mate support) without jumping through too many hoops … how hard would it be to dualboot a pi 2 with Ubuntu Mate as one of the two OSs.

I have a pi dualbooting with a distro and a “media center” but (if possible) would really rather swap that other distro on the pi with Ubuntu Mate Pi 2 version.

1 Like

The two options I see are BerryBoot and NOOBs. However, Ubuntu MATE is not listed on either of those. Maybe bug the people who make BerryBoot.

BerryBoot has a an image available for Mate 15.04 if you’re willing to upgrade.
Else, on the Raspberry Pi official forums, someone made SquashFS images of Mate 16.04 (among others) for installing with BerryBoot… if they can be trusted…

Making a custom noobs OS installation is actually also very easy and in my opinion better than BerryBoot. Noobs is real multi booting with separate partitions for each OS while BerryBoot relies on SquashFS and storing added/changed files in a separate folder on the main partition.

The Noobs github page has a pretty straight forward guide for making a custom OS and I’ve made Ubuntu-Mate 16.04 and it works very well… besides from being a little buggy… but no different from an ordinary installation on my Pi3

The guide is located under the How to create a custom OS version-section on THIS page.