DVD Playback Ubuntu Mate 15.10 help

I am trying to playback DVD through an external drive, on a dell mini 10 netbook, which works on my Linux Mint 17.2 Mate desktop. I have installed llibdvdcss2 from the welcome screen. I open VLC and click on the drive, it whirs but the DVD never starts. Anyone got any suggestions?

1 Like

Hi,

as it has an Atom CPU and little RAM (1 GB guessing?), you may be asking too much of the thing, if you have libdvdcss2 and VLC and it still doesn’t work, then I would say that your netbook doesn’t have the resources needed?. Is your CPU an N or Z chip?. (Z is better!)

Can you paste the specs please?. :smiley:

I'm having the same problem. Installed Ubuntu MATE 15.10 on a friends Dell Inspiron laptop, and one of her primary uses of this devise is watching DVD movies. I searched and found this at the Ubuntu site:

Install package ubuntu-restricted-extras:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

then run:

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

The problem is this. After running the first line, this appears.

There's no way I can find to accept the Microsoft agreement. I tried enter, the arrow keys, and in the end had to just close terminal. Anyone have a suggestion?

Press the “Tab” I think.

1 Like

Tab was the key. Thanks. Now testing the DVD playback. Success! Season 1 of “The Waltons” is playing perfectly. Her DVD…but I do love the theme music. :wink:

Welcome and I like your background pics :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right On…GIMP is a passion. I love playing with the graphics. This is really how my computer career began…on Windows 98 in “Paint”.