Endless USB PITAs - which should NOT even exist at all!

I've posted about such 'paper cuts' before, over a period of several years - and nothing about this has really gotten any better from what I can see.

Conundrum:
I'm here alone - using MY own PC - and I plug in USB device 'x'...
Does it read & appear ?!?
To get the answer - roll some yes/no dice !!
(And watch the contradictions appear.)

Desire:
Same situation - same action...
Device is read and appears - PERIOD.

Best/worst example:
A genuine gripe as well here=>
I have a truly beloved app 'My Phone Explorer' - and yes, it is a windoze app with no Linux version because it's dev KNOWS that it runs fine via WINE.

Yes - that much is true - but minus the ability to simply plug in an Android device & have it recognized & appear is the problem - that doesn't happen.

Yes, of course I looked into this problem and found all sorts of higglety-pigglety gobbledeegoop that one might TRY in order to get past whatever restrictions that the OS imposes by its nature - and I even tried some of the ideas - to no avail.

So what do I have to do when I wish to access an Android device simply & easily ??
I have to fire up a windoze instance on my workbench box for using this ONE freeware app.

I call BS on this problem !!!

My stuff - I am trying to use it - no home invasion here - but does my otherwise wonderful U/M PC accomodate such a timely & basic need ?!?

Not even slightly.

Do I wish to embark upon endless patchy attempts to just 'unlock' my own PC's USB ports for NORMAL uses ??
Ridiculous. Absurd.

This should NOT even be a problem - it should not even need to be mentioned here because in truth it SHOULD JUST WORK, always, PERIOD.

Disclaimer:
I -exclusively- use U/M 365 days/year EXCEPT when it has a FUBAR situation like this - which FORCES me to gain satisfaction by using that OTHER OS - which I would totally prefer NOT TO NEED anymore for anything.

A certain man married and moved to the land of his father-in-law. Now his father-in-law was a wealthy man who had a large herd of racing camels, and provided the man with a new racing camel every two years, and had his grooms feed and water and care for the camel.

The man had a saddle from his youth which he dearly loved, and used on his camel. Then one day, at a great gathering of all his father-in-law's family and friends, he stood up and said

"I have been here among you for years, and have loved this community, yet you have not helped me. Half the time, when I go riding, I fall off my camel. I have even contacted the maker of my saddle, who said my saddle would work fine if I used a wedge-shaped pad under it on the camel. I am tired of falling off, and this is ridiculous."

His father-in-law took him aside and said, "dearest son-in-law, we sorrow with you that you are unable to use your favorite saddle. We all understand how a loved saddle can fit you perfectly. Our saddle-makers are experts in making saddles for racing camels, but do not know how to make your donkey saddle work on a camel. Please take your choice of any fine camel saddle in my tack room."

3 Likes

Wow ok I am not certain what kind of feedback you are expecting to get has it was posted in the support & help requests section here and not in the thoughts and feedbacks one BUT I did catch up something about an android device.... not being able to write to... something about a freeware in WINE.

Am I even close?

@ charles-nix:
Thanks so much for a brilliant esample of what a great many folks refer to as 'Linux snark'.
A truly PERFECTLY off-topic, 100% unhelpful attempt to say that the OP (me) is an A** (3 letter word for donkey) - so very kind of you.

Relating your snark to the topic at hand as possible:
Perhaps your PC running U/M is a camel somehow - whereas mine is a PC;
Likewise PCs are also NOT donkeys AFAIK, and=>
IRL, most who do utilize donkeys either use small horse type saddles or pack saddles.

@DLS:
Please allow me to simplify for you=>
U/M + various USB connected devices including some sticks and/or many Android devices are either altogether unrecognized - hence not mounted, or actually mounted & unwriteable for no good reasons.

Apparently there are proposed workarounds that SOMETIMES work via editing FSTAB & other patchy sillinesses digging into assorted permissions that can SOMETIMES work.

The rest is carefully described in the OP - and yes, I do know that others have experienced this same set of USB connection problems & frustrations without finding relief from it.

And finally=>
I posted into S&H requests in the (vain ??) hope for someone who has actually found ways to make USB things 'just work' as they should, and I apologize for not specifically stating this as a strongly worded query.

Thanks in advance for any directly RELATED & HELPFUL replies here !!