ERROR 1819 (HY000): Your password does not satisfy the current policy requirements

I said to myself that I will not post this problem in this community but to post it in a forum for Linux-Apache-MySql-Php (lamp) forum.

Well, there is no such forum, So I’m back here. Guys need help on this. I want to practice WORDPRESS on my laptop so I installed LAMP. I followed the direction from youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLsA2kj_bMU&t=57s and I got this error:

rex@rex-HP-Mini-210-4000:~$ mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 5
Server version: 5.7.17-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 (Ubuntu)

Copyright © 2000, 2016, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its
affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective
owners.

Type ‘help;’ or ‘\h’ for help. Type ‘\c’ to clear the current input statement.

mysql> create user wordpressuser@localhost identified by ‘wordpresspassword’;
ERROR 1819 (HY000): Your password does not satisfy the current policy requirements

any help from you guys I would really appreciate

Sounds like mysql is not happy with characteristics of your password, which is weird (I’ve never seen mysql complain about that but maybe this is not a standard installation of mysql)
Try another password that uses digits and special characters such as ‘w0rdpre$$password

1 Like

Exactly as ouroumov said, I would answer.

I havent seen it either in mysql, but there might be some setting about it. I have seen in Windows group policy or security policy.

Basic this kind of policies are: 8 or more characters, needs to be complex in a way its not a clear word, it has at least one number and maybe one special char and other case letter instead of all letters same case.

Ouroumovs example is very good.

The validate_password plugin seems to be installed and enabled. The three policy levels are:

• LOW policy tests password length only. Passwords must be at least 8 characters long.

• MEDIUM policy adds the conditions that passwords must contain at least 1 numeric character, 1 lowercase character, 1 uppercase character, and 1 special (nonalphanumeric) character.

• STRONG policy adds the condition that password substrings of length 4 or longer must not match words in the dictionary file, if one has been specified.

If you don’t want to do much digging to find out what level policy is set, pick a password that satisfies the MEDIUM level. If you don’t use dictionary words, you also satisfied level STRONG.

More info here:
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/validate-password-plugin.html#sysvar_validate_password_policy

Should you want to disable the validate_password plugin:

1. Login to the mysql server as root: mysql -h localhost -u root -p
  2. Run the following sql command: uninstall plugin validate_password;

@samuvuo, @ouroumov,

Thank you guys for replying. So it is weird huh? It must be something to do during the installation of mysql i did not pass the process where a dialog box asking me to configure the root user password for MySql-server did not appear during mysql installation. It just went through installing MySQL and Php. Unlike in the youtube video where the dialog box appeared prior (or was it during) to installing MySQL.

Anyway I will get back to you both as soon as I finish with your suggestion.

Hey @johnnyrevival good to know your here. One weird thing during the installation of MySQL i did not encounter the dialog box asking me to configure the MySQL-server root user password unlike in the youtube videos (two of them) where the dialog box appeared.

As @ouroumov has suggested I did this

_rex@rex-HP-Mini-210-4000:~$ mysql -u root -p_
_Enter password: _
_Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g._
_Your MySQL connection id is 6_
_Server version: 5.7.17-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 (Ubuntu)_

_Copyright (c) 2000, 2016, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved._

_Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its_
_affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective_
_owners._

_Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement._

_mysql> create user wordpressuser@localhost identified by 'w0rdpre$$password';_
_ERROR 1819 (HY000): Your password does not satisfy the current policy requirements_

It still did not work guys :frowning: So followed @samuvuo suggestion:

_rex@rex-HP-Mini-210-4000:~$ mysql -h localhost -u root -p_
_Enter password: _
_Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g._
_Your MySQL connection id is 7_
_Server version: 5.7.17-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 (Ubuntu)_

_Copyright (c) 2000, 2016, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved._

_Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its_
_affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective_
_owners._

_Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement._

_mysql> uninstall plugin validate_password;_
_Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.03 sec)_

_mysql> create user wordpressuser@localhost identified by 'wordpresspassword';
_ERROR 1396 (HY000): Operation CREATE USER failed for 'wordpressuser'@'localhost'_

Another type of error…I thought I made a typo mistake, went thru it and the commandline was as suggested…any ideas guys?

Use another password, do not use wordpresspassword. It’s just a “placeholder” text and means that you should come up with your own password. Follow the rules stated in earlier posts and you should be ok. The password should contain at least:

• 1 numeric character
  • 1 lowercase character
  • 1 uppercase character, and
  • 1 special (nonalphanumeric) character.

I have reinstalled ubuntu Mate 16.04 because I really suspected I screwed up during the number of times I kept removing and reinstalling and configuring LAMP-server. Finally I decided to go back to square 1 with a reinstalled OS and watch those youtube tutorials on installing and configuring LAMP and WORDPRESS. Wish me luck…

I reinstalled Ubuntu Mate 16.04. Then I followed this tutorial video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLsA2kj_bMU&t=57s.

And it went well. I managed to install both LAMP and Wordpress without a hitch. Thank you guys for your inputs. I can now stamp this issue SOLVED.

2 Likes

You can watch this video: https://youtu.be/XGHZRC94-_M

1 Like