Evolution 3.40 on 20-4 focus LTS

Im having trouble with evolution connecting to my Google calendar and my 3 (work) O365 accounts. It generally works very, very well however it repeatedly asks to be re-authenticated.

I have been in touch with the Evo folks and have found out that there is some sort of bug which has been fixed in version 3.40. The current version with Mate is 3.36.5-0ubuntu1.
Is there any plan up release 3.40 so that I don't have to find another way? I'd rather keep things native and clean.

The evolution MUA (mail user agent; or email program) is available for Ubuntu-MATE 21.04 users, but it's general practice for only security patches to be back-ported to older releases, not newer features/programs.

If you want the latest software, the non-LTS upgrade path is generally the best (ie. 20.04 upgraded to 20.10, then 21.04 where it's available now, etc.)

A CLI query on my boxes shows available

evolution | 3.36.1-2                | focal/universe          | source, amd64, arm64, armhf, ppc64el, riscv64, s390x
 evolution | 3.36.5-0ubuntu1         | focal-updates/universe  | source, amd64, arm64, armhf, ppc64el, riscv64, s390x
 evolution | 3.40.0-1                | hirsute/universe        | source, amd64, arm64, armhf, ppc64el, riscv64, s390x

ie. if you had upgraded to the latest Ubuntu-MATE, you'd be using the evolution you seek.

Other 3rd party sources (PPAs etc) may provide later packages, or other users here may offer other alternatives (eg. is a snap package available? go look in the snapcraft store, a flatpak etc), but note adding 3rd party sources can complicate release-upgrade time (ie. when you want to upgrade to Ubuntu-MATE 22.04 LTS when the time comes).

2 Likes

I should note, that really Evolution 3.40.4 is available from FlatHub. So this may be a good option to test newer version.

1 Like

Thank very much for the replies.
I tried out the flatpak and restored evo from backup. Once done, evo cycled through each email account asking for password repeatedly.

Frustrated, I purged flatpak and gave up.