Experience with Entroware and Ubuntu Mate?

I think the time is approaching when my venerable ( c. 2006! :wink: ) Core2 Quad desktop may need to be replaced. Due to failures rather than performance per se.

Am considering a laptop to replace the desktop but it would need to be a 17" 1920x . The Entroware Hybris is a 17" 1920x1080. Anyone here have any experience with the Hybris or Entroware in general?

Can anyone recommend a 17" 1920x1200 laptop or have they all been thrown under the bus these days? ( I want to develop website software not watch movies! :wink: )

I think so. Anything but 16:9 is “premium” these days: 16:10 (Apple), 3:2 (MS Surface, Chromebook Pixel). Ordinary Windows/Linux laptops even really nice ones come with 16:9. Android tablets often use 16:10. The market seems locked in these positions. At least it’s good for the environment because people buy less hardware if they are forced to buy 16:9. You see this among the comments for laptop reviews.

There is a thread on this forum started by someone who had a negative experience with Entroware, but I guess that can happen with any company. If the laptop comes with Ubuntu MATE then at least you know that it’s compatible.

Thought I should add a recommendation, as no-one else seems to have one … :wink:

Decided to go for it, along with a Dell 27" monitor - which is still 16x9 (vs my preferred 16x10) but at 1440px tall it’s at least > 1080! :sunglasses:

Entroware are v. slow responding to pre-sales questions, so much so that my Hybris was in the mail before I received the response! So ended up with plain partitioning scheme. But they are quick on support questions, hours not days/weeks.

Device seems great, does everything it claimed to do. Has no problems with Ubuntu Mate 17.04 that I can find. Includes switchable nVidia card for multiple external monitors and onboard Intel graphics for battery life. The fingerprint reader was the only peripheral not fully configured, but as it wasn’t supposed to have one of those, I can’t complain about that.

Overall, I’d recommend.