Facebook Messenger Chat Window Won't Go Away

I've been having problems on one of my laptops running Ubuntu Mate while viewing Facebook Marketplace using the Brave browser . A chat window covers up 1/2 of the screen so I can't view anything in Marketplace. It doesn't do it when using the Chromium browser. Any suggestions?

Hi, @linuxis4me :slight_smile:

To try to help you, I've just installed the "Brave" web browser in my laptop computer that is running Ubuntu MATE 22.04.3 LTS ("Jammy Jellyfish") by following the instructions available at the "Installing Brave on Linux | Brave" web page - https://brave.com/linux/ - specifically by executing the following commands in a Terminal window:

sudo curl -fsSLo /usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg

echo "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main"|sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list

sudo apt update

sudo apt install brave-browser

As expected, doing that installed the "Brave" web browser, specifically the latest version "Version 1.60.118 Chromium: 119.0.6045.163 (Official Build) (64-bit)" and added a software repository to my Ubuntu MATE installation.

I've then opened the Brave web browser, browsed to the "Facebook Marketplace" web page - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace - and logged in with my "Facebook" user credentials. Everything looks normal and there's no Facebook Messenger chat window opened. Even if I click the round chat icon in the lower right corner of the screen, I then get a relatively small chat window (certainly not one that covers up half of the screen as it's happening to you).

Could it be some issue related to the screen resolution in your computer? I'm using a screen resolution of 1440 x 810 (as seen in the "Displays" / "Monitor Preferences" program of Ubuntu MATE). What version of Ubuntu MATE and what screen resolution are you using? And what version of the Brave web browser are you running?

2 Likes

Thank you, ricmarques, for taking time to address my issue. It only happens on one laptop that is running Ubuntu, not on my other Ubuntu laptops. When I use that laptop again I'll see what version of Brave it's running. The size of the chat window is an issue but not being able to minimuze it or shut it off is what really annoys me.

2 Likes

I discovered the problem is due to not being able to update the Brave browser to its latest version. When using the Chromium browser it doesn't happen. When trying to update Brave I receive an error message:

N: Ignoring file 'brave-browser-release.lis' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
E: Unable to locate package brave

I'm able to update Brave on other laptops running Ubuntu Mate so I guess Mate has been corrupted on this one particular laptop. Should I reinstall Mate to fix the problem?

You wrote:

"(...) When trying to update Brave I receive an error message:
N: Ignoring file 'brave-browser-release.lis' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
E: Unable to locate package brave

I believe the problem you're having is just a missing "t" at the end of the name of that file. So, the file should be /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list but you have /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.lis

So, I believe that, if you rename that file from brave-browser-release.lis to brave-browser-release.list and then try again, then it should work. Please, try that and report back afterwards, in this discussion topic, to tell us if that solved your problem :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have no idea where to find the incorrect file in order to rename it. I looked in the Synaptic Package Manager and it has Brave flagged with an asterisk at the beginning of it. There were no files listed under the Repository tab in Synaptics so that was a deadend. Caja didn't list any file with that name. Thank you for trying to help.

I tried installing Brave again and got the following output-

The following packages will be upgraded:
brave-browser
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 67 not upgraded.
Need to get 115 MB of archives.
After this operation, 8,326 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com stable/main amd64 brave-browser amd64 1.64.109 [115 MB]
Fetched 115 MB in 22s (5,267 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 336559 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../brave-browser_1.64.109_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking brave-browser (1.64.109) over (1.61.116) ...
Setting up brave-browser (1.64.109) ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon (0.5.6+22.04.20220217-0ubuntu1) ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.26-1ubuntu3) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.36.0-1ubuntu3) ...
Processing triggers for mate-menus (1.26.0-2ubuntu2) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.10.2-1) ...
Processing triggers for mailcap (3.70+nmu1ubuntu1) ...

It shows that Brave has been updated to a newer version but I'm still experiencing the same Messenger issue on Marketplace.

I tried using the mv command in Terminal to change the file name and received the following output-

ralph@ralph-Latitude-E6440:~$ mv brave-browser-release.lis/etc/apt/sources.list.d brave-browser-release.list/etc/apt/sources.list.d
mv: cannot stat 'brave-browser-release.lis/etc/apt/sources.list.d': No such file or directory
ralph@ralph-Latitude-E6440:~$

It appears that the file doesn't exist so I'm unable to change the name.

You wrote:

I tried using the mv command in Terminal to change the file name and received the following output-

ralph@ralph-Latitude-E6440:~$ mv brave-browser-release.lis/etc/apt/sources.list.d brave-browser-release.list/etc/apt/sources.list.d
mv: cannot stat 'brave-browser-release.lis/etc/apt/sources.list.d': No such file or directory

You have a few errors in that "mv" command. The correct command should be the following (which is intended to be written in one line, even if it seems to be two lines here):

sudo mv -v /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.lis /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list

Please, try running the above command and report back the output.

1 Like

Thank you for pointing out what I did wrong. I corrected the command to read- sudo mv -v /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.lis /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list

Terminal's output was:

renamed '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.lis' -> '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list'

I reinstalled Brave, restarted my computer and experienced the same Messenger chat window that can't be closed in Facebook Marketplace. There's no problem when using the Chromium browser so I guess I'll just have to use Chromium when browsing Marketplace.

2 Likes