Failed to install boot loader when creating ISO on USB

My computer runs Ubuntu 14.04, downloaded the latest Mate, attempting to install on a 4gb usb drive to install on my older laptop. I keep getting the message: Failed to install Boot Loader when it is close to being done writing to the usb drive. Im using Startup Disk Creator. Suggestions?

@wadesmart try to create sub drive with dd in your terminal:

sudo dd if=/path/to/ubuntu/iso of=/dev/sdX

where sdX can be found by using in terminal: lsblk. Be careful sdX must be the device not the partition, I mean do not put any numbers there :wink:

Please forgive my lack lack of terminal knowledge:
sudo dd if=/Downloads/ubuntu-mate-15.10-desktop-i386.iso of=/dev/sdfX

sdf1 = /media/DaMachine/1030-414
1030-414 = usb drive.

So, sdf1 is a partition and Im to put sdfX?
And I put /dev/ not /media/DaMachine/
correct?

You will use:

sudo blkid

If you are sure that sdf1 = /media/DaMachine/1030-414 is your USB drive then you will use:

sudo dd if=/Downloads/ubuntu-mate-15.10-desktop-i386.iso of=/dev/sdf

without the number. Wait a couple of minutes until the procedure in terminal will be finished (you will see some diagnostics).

DaMachine@DaMachine:~$ sudo dd if=Downloads/ubuntu-mate-15.10-desktop-i386.iso of=/dev/sdf
2289280+0 records in
2289280+0 records out
1172111360 bytes (1.2 GB) copied, 457.5 s, 2.6 MB/s

The this comes up: "Sorry, could not display all the contents of “4FA7-909B”: Error when getting information of file ‘/media/DaMachine/4FA7-909B/-^’ (some stuff I cant write) output error.

I got that twice on two usb drives. Could my iso be bad or is that a indicator of something else?

Well, I guess I was wrong. It put it in my usb port on my laptop and its loading.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated :smiley:

No problem. Hope this will work :wink:

Tried couple tools for creating bootable flash drive… non worked… finally your advice saved the day… Thanks.
i had already problems with ubuntu statup disk creator… but i hoped that the problem was solved… its crazy that such essential tool for spreading ubuntu is with a such bug (creates startup disk, but not possible to boot from that)…

anyway… thanks for the tip