Feature request: bookmarks in caja sidepanel pulldown

I would like to select "Bookmarks" from this pulldown.
This way a only necessary folders are visible to users and its customizable too.
Most of them only need to be in their home folder anyway . Speeds up work too :innocent:

feature_request

I would recommend posting a feature request for caja here.

It's probably a waste of my time since somebody else will probably do it before I'm done, but I'll take a look into adding this feature to Caja.

3 Likes

I don't usually use the side pane in Caja since I generally use the keyboard for almost everything these days. But while experimenting with Caja, I noticed that in stock Caja, the ordinary Places sidebar has a list of your bookmarks already -- you just have to scroll down:

Caja-places-sidebar-showing-bookmarks

But I'm guessing it would be preferable to have a special Bookmarks side pane for bookmarks only, so that you don't have to always scroll past pages of stuff you don't care about?

I just wanted to let you know that this feature exists while I'm working on the Bookmarks sidebar.

I might as well also warn you: I can file a pull request with Caja eventually to possibly get my code into Caja, but there's no guarantee that it'll be accepted, and even if it does it'll probably not appear in the Ubuntu (MATE) repositories for another 5 months or so. So you may have to compile Caja from source with my patch applied. Just a heads up.

Well, I've got good news and I've got not-so-good news.

The good news is that I've got a patch for Caja to add a Bookmarks option to the sidebar. Here's what it looks like:
Caja-sidebar-after-my-patch-applied

Now for the not-so-good news. First off, you will indeed need to compile Caja from source to get my patch to work. According to the instructions available on Ask Ubuntu, compiling a source package on Ubuntu or Debian follows this pattern:

sudo apt-get build-dep caja
apt-get source caja
cd caja-[something]
patch -p1 < [wherever you saved my patch to]
debuild -us -uc -b
sudo dpkg ../caja-[something]

The second piece of not-so-good news is: I wasn't able to test my patch on Ubuntu MATE 20.04 per se, but I did test it on other Debian-based systems which also use Caja 1.24.0, just like Ubuntu MATE 20.04 does.

Third, I'm not sure you care, but like another sidebar for Caja, my sidebar does not appear correctly if you use the TraditionalGreen or TraditionalOk theme. It seems to be a bug in said themes.

Fourth, and finally, since I only spent 4 hours developing this patch (I thought you needed it in an emergency), right-clicking on a bookmark does not bring up a context menu. You cannot open a bookmark in a new window, but you can open it in a new tab by middle-clicking (you can simulate a middle button by pressing both buttons together simultaneously). Also you cannot drag-and-drop bookmarks in the sidebar to reorganize them; use the Edit Bookmarks tool already in Caja for that.

I wish you luck. Please tell me if that's what you need, or if you need slightly more, or if re-compiling Caja is too much.

EDIT:
Whoops. Forgot to give you a link to the patch. Here you go:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thesquash/mate-patches/master/Caja-add-bookmarks-sidebar.patch

EDIT:
Would you be willing to wait another few more days for a binary package, or can you build Caja from source?

2 Likes

No worries mate, I have a lot of time to get this done right.

Yes, you were correct in assuming its to remove all clutter.
People are easily confused, especially when there is a link to the filesystem ?? where they do not ever need to be.

What a weird design choice ?!

Yes I can build from source, thanks a lot :smiley:

Just out of curiosity did you create a PR in for caja/mate desktop So everyone can enjoy your work ?

When I have the time I'll try my patch out on the master branch of Caja and file a pull request, in hopes my patch gets into MATE 1.24.2 or 1.26 eventually.

Very nice! I look forward to having you file a PR for this.

You tried it out already?

I haven’t had the opportunity. I am just very pleased to see the community making contributions :smile:

1 Like

It's official. I just forked Caja master to my own repository, applied my changes, made a commit, and have registered a pull request at https://github.com/mate-desktop/caja/pull/1430.

My fingers are crossed. We'll have to see if it makes it into Caja.

4 Likes

It's now been a week since I filed that pull request. So I'd like to give you and @franksmcb (if he still cares) an update on how it's coming along.

Earlier today, @lukefromdc (I couldn't find him on this forum), who is on the upstream MATE Desktop team, approved my patch, stating that it looked "ready to go". He then proceeded to request a review from the MATE Desktop Core Team. The pull request is awaiting review by the MATE Desktop Core Team and I once more have my fingers crossed ...

... especially after waiting a week and starting to get a sneaky suspicion that it was silently rejected somehow. I shall be patient and continue to wait for review.

By the way, @Guy, have you managed to compile my patch? I am a little worried that you may be pulling all your hair out right now because of one of my coding boo-boos, even though it's probably irrational because nobody has yet noted that my patch fails in any way. I'm still interested to hear from you.

That is awesome Gordon :innocent:

Any luck compiling my patched version, or have you decided to wait until MATE 1.26? I'm just curious.

Updates for today: The pull request has caught more attention, and it looks like the MATE team is on the verge of merging it. @rbuj explained that I needed to add a line to a file which lists all files that contain translatable messages. I did so and committed my changes again. I am looking forward to what's next.

2 Likes

UPDATE:

After cleaning up the code a little, my sidebar pull request has been merged with the master branch of Caja. That means it's an implemented feature in Caja now, and it should appear for general use in the next release of Caja.

The theme regressions I talked about above do still exist, but fortunately I have discovered what caused them, and have created an issue and a pull request for that, too. See MATE Themes issue 274 for the nitty-gritty details.

2 Likes

Its working great Gordon, thanks a lot :+1:

@gordon

Is it possible to add a sidepanel to the right of the window? I ask because I want to use one for Information or the Notes option, and another one for Places.