File associations problems, Caja and Firefox

My setup has gotten the file associations damaged.
In Caja, Executables is shown as “shared libraries” and I can’t double click it to execute it.
In Firefox, opening a archive from the download “quick menu” opens it in pluma.
How do I fix this?
Also for future reference, how do I reset file associations to the default?

1 Like

I have had this issue for a long time. Mostly with WAVs and PDFs. So if I set Atril as the default for pdf, all is fine until I need to open a wav. FF wants to open Atril to open a wav, so when I change the association of a wav to VLC, the the next pdf I get wants to open with VLC. And I go on back and forth as I receive each of those files. It has been going for over a year.

1 Like

Right click on the file or file type that you’re having trouble with and select Properties. A five tabbed dialog box should appear. One of the tabs is Open With and in there you should be able to add, remove or reset.

1 Like

@Mdooly how do I do that with executables?
Also, that doesn’t work with Firefox.

skrev:

What do you mean by “executables”? Are you referring to Windows .exe files? If so, you can not open these in Linux. I also don’t understand what you mean by a download “quick menu”? This can be managed in Firefox. Look in FF preferences. Good luck MrSVCD.

I mean elf files, for example, if i try to open my newly compiled openscad binary, Caja dosen’t know what to do with it.
https://imgur.com/OM9h6LD

Perhaps someone else can help with this. I have no knowledge about openscad. I assume that changing properties for an elf file doesn’t work for you.

the openscad binary is detected as a shared library by caja.

Got no help for you.

Maybe you need to give execute permission to the file?

Properties → Permissions tab → Allow executing file as program checkbox
or chmod +x

Does not work. In Cahja I can associate a PDF to Atril per your instructions. Then open Firefox, download a PDF and Firefox wants to open it with VLC.

Firefox has its own preferences, different than Caja’s. Check out your FF preferences jaybo. Tools, Preferences, Applications, PDFs.

Hello. I actually came to this forum with similar problem, but I will try help if can.
@MrSVCD. Linux normally shouldn’t execute files by double clicking. With caja to allow files be executable do:
Click right button on mouse -> Properties -> Permissions-> Execute: make active “Allow executing file as program”. This is or as @elcste has wrote, type in terminal: chmod +x “you file name”.
To change file associations open second tab “Open With” and choose program, if needed was not found , “add” another program or type your bash command (as example to open pdf files with atril: in the same tab push “Add”->“Use custom command”-> type “atril -f” [-f jast optional flag to open document on firescreen].
To return to default just push “Reset” button.
You also may try manually change ~/.config/mimeapps.list (I use Mate but not Ubuntu so no guarantee it will be in the same place). I do not recommend it without backup plan.
Firefox has it own files associations Edit->Preferences

I have tried FF preferences. I see no audio files at all listed let alone a wav. My only issue has been toggling between PDFs and WAVs. For some reason FF wants to treat both the same. I have learned to live with it as I only download a few WAVs a month. I have no issues with Caja associations.

Please try it again jaybo. You said “Then open Firefox, download a PDF and Firefox wants to open it with VLC.” You have to check what you’ve specified to bring up when you open (in Firefox) a .pdf file. So far, what I get is that VLC is specified to open your PDFs. You might also check System, Preferences, Personal, Preferred Applications, Office, Document Viewer just to cover all bases.