Firefox 55.0.2 doesn't start crashes on Ubuntu Mate RaspberryPi 3

good morning
sudo apt-mark hold firefox fixed it for me
great. lets wait a supported newer version in between…
Hans

Hi,

Firefox problems still existed with the same issues because it cannot start.

This problem occurs with Firefox version 55, version 56, version 57.

I have submitted the issues to Launchpad…

I wonder why they have not solve the problem.

It is now December and we have been seeing this issue for several months. 5 major versions of FF have been pushed out since 52.0.2 (the last working version). If Mozilla is not fixing this, does that mean No One is?

I reckon, there are about 9000 variations of FF for different hardware, OS’s, versions, not all are going to be catered for. I’m going to ask for my money back.

@garrytre Understood and agreed. My question though was based on the fact that when the RPI3 was first introduced FF had already been rolled and delivered as a default install with Ubuntu Mate for the platform. That means that some one went to some trouble working out the kinks. Now, it appears that RPI is a forgotten concern - just 1 of 9000.

When I got the RPI3 in April of 2016, just months after it was available, FF worked. Chrome on the other hand did not work and it took more then a year for “some one” to fix it. And, it works now… sort of.

I did not pay much for the RPI3 and of course nothing for the OS or the browser. My experience with the RPI3 has led me to invest in a different direction. I don’t have time for this crap though I do love the idea.

This advice is not much use to people that have the problem but if you install and configure Ubuntu 16.04 on Raspberry pi 3 then immediately type ‘sudo apt-mark hold firefox’ to prevent it being updated when you next start the OS.
Otherwise the fix to downgrade to Firefox 45 does work and is easy to install ’ sudo apt-get install firefox=45.0.2+build1-0ubuntu1’
This should be being fixed - i have wasted an hour this morning!!!

For me your hint worked until now. Have iz just installed.
Many thanks for the solution and the step by step explanation!

Hey there, Ubuntu MATE community!

I came up with a workaround to run Firefox 57 ‘Quantum’ 64-bit on a Pi 3. See here.

Update: For a Pi 2, it turns out you can open Firefox 57 32-bit by disabling Skia. However, so far this has only worked with the Trusty package. If running Xenial, download that 14.04 armhf .deb and install via dpkg -i.

2 Likes

Firefox seems to be working well in 18.04 armhf xubuntu. @jdonald do you know if things are fixed now?

After some crashes, I uninstalled FF and went for QupZilla. Period.
I wish I could install Palemoon or Waterfox, instead, for the internet is heavy and makes smaller browsers (like QupZilla, Midori, etc.) to crash, in some sites. For the rest, they do work fine.

@stillwinter sorry for the delayed followup.

When I install the Firefox 61 debpackage on RaspEX (18.04 armhf), yes it works for me now. I figure others here are getting their xubuntu 18.04 images from this post where as you’ve said it works as well.

Firefox 61 still does not work on 16.04 armhf, but over time this will be less bothersome for the community once the Ubuntu MATE team releases official 18.04 images.