FireFox will not play videos

When I try to play a video of any kind FireFox (55.0.2 64bit) errors out with the below message:

I have all the latest updates to Shock, Flash, etc.

If I try a Oracle VM and Windows 7 it still can not play it.
If I go to a Windows machine it plays fine.

I'm running 16.04 on a Lenovo G780.
I think this is something relatively new.

Thanks, Fred

I can confirm, I am having similar problems with Firefox when trying to play videos on certain sites Fred.

When that happens I usually find Chromium will play them.

But, there is definitely a problem that seems to be growing with Firefox in Linux and online video streaming

Thanks Steve. I will go to FireFox and tell them of the problem.
We shall see what they will do.

Do you know if Ubuntu does anything to their release or do they just pass it along as an install?

Thanks again, Fred

Not sure if Ubuntu mess around with it, to be honest Fred

Maybe somebody reading this will know. I have a request into FireFox, so we will see what they say. Thanks, Fred

Try start Firefox in safe mode:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode
Start in safe Mode temporarily turns off hardware acceleration, resets some settings, and disables add-ons

it worked for me without having to apply Refresh
Note:
Refresh -> Extensions and extension data are removed and restore Firefox to its default

3 Likes

@Mary, Just did a quick check and it plays the video that would NOT play and I also played a random video. So thanks to you, I can track it down tomorrow, since you showed me where to start.

@stevecook172001 Sounds like you might be experiencing the same thing.

I will post my results so others will know.

Thanks again Mary, Fred

@Mary, @stevecook172001

I have found the culprit causing my problem and it is a genuine YouTube Flash Player.

These are my add-ons:

Here is the culprit in extensons:

Soon to be removed.

Thanks to Mary for where to start looking.

Fred

1 Like