First Post from me - My 'Lumate' Desktop

Hi yawl..

My first post to the forum.. Thought I'd show my Lubuntu/Mate combo..

I'm no expert.. It's more like linux with an axe when i have a go.. But I love how light lubuntu is.. but hate the lxpanel.. So it had to be the mate panel. I called it 'Lumate' for fun..

The screenshots tell you pretty much what it's made up of. Took a while to figure out how to log out after changing the panel lol.

All the indicators are working fine, and im not sure if the theme is supposed to work as it said it was GTK2.
But hasnt caused any problems since i put it together at christmas..

The icon theme is my own.. I've been making that for 2 years now.. Theres hundreds of mime types in it now, so you can tell an .avi from an .mp4 at a glance.. instead of the usual generic 1 icon does all..
make vid editing a lot easier..

Got a few great apps in there -

Systemback.. 3 mouse clicks and 15 mins later youve got a live iso of your system ready to go. never fails me.

Lossless cut - just cuts out a section of a phone vid ready for you tube in seconds..

The funny launchers on either side of the clock are Terminal and file manager -
the two blues are normal and the two reds are root..

and an Xkill button,, very handy..

Just thought I'd show it and say Hi..

6 Likes

Hi @BadAnimal,

I love the Windows icon as a menu button, very cheeky!. LOL. :smiley:

Really nice desktop. :open_mouth:

except the window :toilet: sign top-left and this ‘e’

besides great thing.:grinning:

Thank you chaps :grin:

I couldnt resist the Windoze logo for a giggle… and the explorer ‘e’ is really chrome :wink:
(Though the PS is really Photoshop) an old 5.5 version. It just has the edge on Pinta…

I didnt install the whole Mate desktop as I wanted to see if I could just get the Panel working on it’s own…
It was surprisingly painless a task…

Without compton running, and knocking off a few background apps (like KDE connect) and such I’ve managed to get it to idle around 178 meg of ram…which is great on this old HP laptop… :grinning:

Looking forward to getting my hands on the new Mate 18.04

1 Like

That is quite a good combo, mate-panel (one of my all-time favourite usability softwares!) and PCManFM. You get all the Mate widgets, and a lightweight flexible file manager!