Forcing window decorations in Mate

Due to my work requirements I have to use Microsoft Team for communication. This app is not supporting native window decoration, specifically top bar. I heavily use that bar in other applications to set windows always on top or always on visible workspace.

How can I force Teams to start with top bar enabled?

I know that it's somehow possible because once, due to some kind of glitch (or maybe I turned it on with some shortcut by accident), I saw Teams window with native top bar and it was working like that until restart. Currently I'm using 20.10 but I saw that behavior about a week ago on 18.04.

Hi there :slight_smile:

I totally agree your point of view :slight_smile:

You can achieve that with a small tool - devilspie

Just set this rule inside devilspie config :slight_smile: :
(if (is (application_name) 'Microsoft Teams') (begin (decorate)))
You have some info how to use this tool here :

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Devilspie

I know this software good and using it everyday ! Do not hesitate to ask for help.

1 Like

Hi, thank you but this doesn't work. I installed devispie, created all necessary configs (application name actually is just 'teams') and nope it doesn't work.

Funny enough, Teams glitched again and I had top bar for last couple days until I started playing with devilspie and had to restart Teams. So now I'm waiting for another glitch.

How do you find Redmond Teams on MATE?

At work, where I have no control over software choice, they use Redmond software [cough, spit!] and I find that Teams takes over. The only way to get rid of it is to reboot the machine.

I have discovered how to install it on Ubuntu MATE in theory, but did not want to proceed if it was going to behave as badly on Linux as it does at work.

I suppose there's always xkill.

I hate Microsoft Teams on Ubuntu, thankfully since I had to use it I changed my job and now I'm using Google suit and Slack which is way better. I'm not gonna lie, not using Teams was a big plus in favor of my new company.

2 Likes

This is what I suspected. Thanks for confirming.