Forgotten Ubuntu Mate passwd

Hi!

I have said in my last post that I had to use 16.04.1 of Ubuntu MATE and I forgotten my password for that version. Is there a way to change the password without sudoing or asking for passwords?

I’m sorry! I am on a raspberry Pi 3.

You haven’t said which password you’ve forgotten - probably the ne you assigned for your main logon.
Your best bet would be to boot directly into a terminal interface - which I think may be doable by modifying the cmdline.txt in /boot - and then setting the password from there.
Derek

It’s the login password. Sorry I didn’t mention it!

Use your install disk to boot the “live” version of Ubuntu-mate.

Then:
open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and use the following commands,

sudo fdisk -l

(to list your partitions and identify where your root file system is, probably /dev/sda1 but not necessarily.)

mkdir /media/linux

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/linux

sudo chroot /media/linux

pwd (should return / )

passwd yourusername

yournewpassword

(it will ask you to repeat it)

(look in /etc/password if you have forgotten your username!)

logout/shutdown/remove disk/

reboot

This has worked for me in the past, not sure if it still does but worth a try.

I am using a Raspberry Pi 3 . I mentioned it a few posts ago.

Presumably you can boot from a pendrive with a live version of linux on it, although I am not very familiar with Raspberry Pi’s. Most live disks will do the trick but best to use the one you installed the os with, whether disk or pendrive.
chroot will give you root permissions.
Also there is the methord in Tips and Tricks or Tutorials, I forget which, if the Raspberry is equipped with such.

Heathrobinson.

I have no clue what pendrives are and I unfortunately don’t have a VERSION OF ubuntu mate, due to the fact I’m using an old backup.:confounded:

It may be time you read up on the subject of Raspberry Pi if you are going to comment in threads like this.
Until some (mooted) changes, you can only boot from a SD card - there is no concept of a ‘live’ disttro to boot from.
In an earlier thread I commented that I’d failed to get to boot UbMate to boot from a USB stick (AKA pendrive …) and, despite suggestions, that still holds true.
Derek