Forum suggestion for new look

Question: About this forum, is there anyway for them to get a more friendly interface for this forum?like the other Ubuntu has http://ubuntuforums.org/ just wondering because I think it would be a good idea for the members. I believe they use vBulletin. I like the colors you’ve chosen for this one.

I have used a lot of forums and some are a bit hard to navigate, don’t get me wrong this one is simple it’s just need a more simplify interface. Just a suggestion… Thanks you guys so much

1 Like

Hey Robgoss & all,

I respectfully must maintain that I love the way our forum looks and functions, as is! :smiley:

I particularly love the manners in which it differs from the Ubuntu sites, at issue.

We all have wholly valid reasons for what we wish for in life; but this site has been uniquely UMATE for a while now. :wink:

2 Likes

Hello Mated how are ya? I can understand the differ between both forums and maybe it’s because I’m so use to the other Ubuntu forum. I just think the interface here is a bit more different. How long had this forum be around?

1 Like

About colors..

Just about any site can be any color you want.

I do this in FireFox, but also doable in Chrome.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/color-that-site/

1 Like

Hi, again, @Robgoss,

And before we were an official Ubuntu flavor, we were 'Ubuntu MATE Remix’ :laughing:

The blinding white background on this forum does tire my aging eyes, I will look at @anon42388993’s suggestion for darker clours!. :smiley:

1 Like

Personally I like how forum looks and works, ok it could be a little less white but otherwise is good.

Thanks for the link about color switch @anon42388993, I know I saw it somewhere here before, but forgot where.

2 Likes

There’s always this Ubuntu forum: http://discourse.ubuntu.com/

Looks familiar eh? :wink:

1 Like

Speaking as a general user, I definitely much prefer Discourse. It’s very community-spirited and a great example of open source. The interface may be different to traditional forums, but it’s pleasant and clean after getting use to it. :slight_smile:

vBulletin to me feels pretty dated, clunky and after my experiences with another community, I’m glad the founders didn’t choose it. On top of that, it’s proprietary software and paid (not always a bad thing, maybe not feasible when this project started). Although, the Ubuntu forums did get hacked at one point… :unamused:

Discourse looks and behaves really well on mobile too. :thumbsup:

1 Like

I would like to see some added functionality:

• Hover over a title to have the first few lines visible
  • A select feature to view all of one’s subscribed threads [ie a single item after clicking one’s profile icon]

Regards,
Pete

2 Likes

Discourse looks pretty much like this forum nice and clean…

When you click user profile and then +2 (in your case) you can check users Activity and summary beside badgers, that’s not enough?

Few more things you can do with your own profile, while you can also chose which topics you want to to be tracked or watched as well as muted in Preferences.

1 Like

Thanks @ele I’ve explored the profile. I’m unaware about exactly what is intended by +2.

I do see plenty options, but it would be nice to simply click on a ‘subscribed thread’ icon. Possibly this is a behavior to which I’ve been accustomed in the other forums, or just different nomenclature and behaviors.

On other forums whenever I reply to an existing thread I am automatically subscribed.

what is current forum engine by the way?

It’s Discourse.

1 Like