Fresh install of ubuntu 15.04 mate fresh update can't get xfx one 2gb working

Hi there
I am new to Ubuntu ( from win 7 ) and have a xfx one 2gb graphics card
http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/xfx-one-r-series/xfx-one-r-series-deluxe-edition-on-xfx1-dlx2

running a Chipset version : ATI Radeon HD 5450 A12

SO I want to control the brightness/ color etc and understand I have to install a software product called catalyst BUT I don’t really know how to do that properly OR if I should? When I tried to hook up my tv ( hdmi) and a second monitor ( vga) the monitor just displayed an interference pattern and so did the tv. SO I unhooked the monitor from the vga port leaving just the tv ( hdmi) and it worked BUT the color on the tv was so bad it looked like it was 1980 all over again. SO I want to get this right and load up the right drivers. Any help would be appreciated

1 Like

Have you tried installing/using alternative/additional drivers?
You are able to do that via the Software&Updates tab. There just select “Additional drivers” and if you’re hooked up to the internet, you’ll see options of additional drivers that you can select. This might fix your color-related problem.

First of all, thank you Suffice, for taking the time to help me. I am VERY nervous about installing drivers into this ubuntu mate as I really don’t have a feel for what is the best approach. I looked at your suggestion BUT it seems to me on one hand there are the opensource drivers ( which seem to be the default installed) and what “might” be proprietary drivers from AMD/ATI . I’m trying to stay as far away from proprietary as is humanly possible BUT right now am missing how to alter the brightness/color etc on the monitor. In windoze it’s simple in Ubuntu mate I can’t seem to find it at all. Again thank you for an excellent suggestion and it was REALLY helpful.

theakson

I am glad I could help. If you click on the panel you’ll be able to find an option called “Add to panel”. Click on it and select the option “Brightness Applet” which then will let you adjust your monitor’s brightness. In order to change the “colors” (somebody might correct me if I am wrong) you’d need to calibrate your monitor. In order to do so you could install Gnome-color-manager via the Ubuntu Software Center. How to proceed is explained here in detail halfway through the website: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/calibrating.your.monitor/

I am hoping this will give you what you need.
Nice regards,
Suffice

Hey Suffice

TRULY outstanding help I am getting more and more comfortable with my move to Linux, people like you really really help us to stay the course and I thank you for that. I will look into the approach you have shown me and the site looks really excellent. Thank you so much, is there a way I can tag this as an excellent answer on this site?

You’re very welcome. Just keep on asking if you’re running into any kind of trouble, I am always happy to help. Don’t worry about it, your post has already made my day! :smile:

Thank YOU again Suffice and I will keep the questions rolling. I am pleased that I made your day but it is scant reward for setting the foundation for a person’s technological future.