Get your Canon LBP6020b work on Ubuntu Mate 64bit

Generally speaking and during my search throughout the web, there are always problems related to how to get your Canon printer work on Ubuntu flavors mainly 64bits. That happened to me too! I was looking high and low for a solution to my Canon LBP6020b. The only thing that kept me using windows 8.1 as a dual boot was the printer, but after a couple of months, I finally get it work  under Ubuntu Mate 64bits. Now I'm very happy  cause I don't have to worry about rebooting to windows any longer.

The problem persist mainly with 64bits systems, but not with 32 bits.
Without further ado, here are the tips that I found in this source: Click [here][1]

1. Make sure the printer is on and plugged to your computer via USB.

2. Download the drivers from Canon Europe, and install:

$ tar xzvf ~/Downloads/Linux_CAPT_PrinterDriver_V260_uk_EN.tar.gz
$ cd Linux_CAPT_PrinterDriver_V260_uk_EN/64-bit_Driver/Debian/
$ sudo dpkg -i cndrvcups-common_2.60-1_amd64.deb
$ sudo dpkg -i cndrvcups-capt_2.60-1_amd64.deb

3. Check that the LBP6020 is supported directly:

$ grep -H ModelName /usr/share/cups/model/*.ppd | grep 6020

You should see CNCUPSLBP6020CAPTK.ppd in the output.

4. Assuming that you only have one USB printer plugged in, check which device it is:

$ ls /dev/usb/lp*

5. Then define the printer queue (LBP6020 in the example below) with the device found above:

$ sudo lpadmin -p LBP6020 -m CNCUPSLBP6020CAPTK.ppd -v ccp://localhost:59687 -E
$ sudo ccpdadmin -p LBP6020 -o /dev/usb/lp0
$ sudo service ccpd start
$ sudo service cups restart

6. Check that the ccpd service appears to have started correctly:

You should see two numbers at the end of the line, if not, something isn't right.

This was published by a man called Alister. I have given you the source above if you're interested.

Note

When I followed these steps, I got two printers: One works and is named LBP6020 and the other called Canon LBP6020.
To avoid any problem, go the printer setting and set LBP6020 as a default printer as in the picture below.

Thanks for your attention.
I hope this might help you as it did for me.
[1]: http://random0musings.blogspot.com/2014/06/ubuntu-1404-and-canon-lbp6020b-laser.html

1 Like