Gimp installation issue

Hello,
I'm installing UMate on an old PC for a friend. I'm not new to ubuntu, but relatively new to UMate. I want this install as standard as possible, and i prefer using the GUI for everything.
Apart from a problem with the Broadcom drivers, installation went fine. Adding programs also went flawless, using the software boutique.(SB) when installing GIMP, i get the following error twice:

Package dependencies cannot be resolved
This error could be caused by required additional software packages which are missing or not installable. Furthermore there could be a conflict between software packages which are not allowed to be installed at the same time.
Details:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gimp-plugin-registry:

Now, I've seen I can add other libraries to the SB, but is that the solution, or should I do something else. I'm no stranger to, or afraid of the CLI, so if that's what it takes, OK. I'd rather have it that I do it, instead of him. :wink:

Regards,

Hello ImTheeFlash

I would suggest that you [1] install "Synaptic" from the software boutique, and [2] install the GIMP from there as it will indicate/mark the other packages that should be installed with the main package. Hope that helps. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi, @ImTheeFlash, welcome to UM community.

Which version of Ubuntu MATE are you using? You could try last column ('Fixes') and try 'Update source list' and/or 'Resolve Broken Packages'. If no help, you can try synaptic package manager. It is very powerful esp in situations like this.

When I check gimp, I get following error.

Breaks: gimp-plugin-registry (<< 7.20140602+nmu1~)
Replaces: gimp-plugin-registry (<< 7.20140602+nmu1~)

So, I don't know if you have gimp-plugin-registry already installed somehow, you could first try to uninstall it.

If above options fail you could try the Appimage. I switched because at time regular version did not have a dependency for an extension I was using. The appimage had the plugin that allowed me to use the extension. Don't know if situation has changed but it is available for current version. You will need to scroll down to the correct one. See image.

https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage/releases/tag/continuous

Please show the output of apt-cache policy gimp gimp-plugin-registry command.

My installation issue has been resolved i downloaded gimp 2.6 from here https://gimp.cc/download-gimp-2-6-10/ and its working fine now.