Good FLAC MP3 Audio CD Creating program

What is a good program that will let you create a FLAC / MP3 and other Audio File formats Audio CD program that will let you create a CD with a bunch of songs on it that will write the files to a CD-R so they will all play the way they would play back on the Album or on the CD. K3b does not seem to do this and will just put the files on the CD in alphabetical and does not create the CD so the songs play in the correct order unless you manually number each file with a track number so if you have a device like a car stereo that does not read the track info or have a internet connection to get the information on what order to play back the files from the CDDB. A program that is easy to install and does not require you to know how to manually install a program that is not self installing.

Thanks

Hi @daldude,

you might find something here?:

For ripping CDs, I use Asunder. Make sure you change the preferences for file format so that it saves the albums correctly by artist instead of the default artist – title.

For editing IPV3 audio tags, I use Easy Tag. If you add a image on the picture tab for each song, you also get the cover art on devices that support it.

If you actually want to edit an audio file, Audacity is great.

If you need an easy to use and effective file converter, try Sound Converter. It supports MP3, Ogg, FLAC, and others.

All of those were still in the repos for 16.04 last time I checked, so the installation is easy.

Thanks I’ll check these programs out.

Hi @daldude,

for DVD’s I use Acidrip which is a converter:

try this one:

https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/16.10/ubuntu-universe-amd64/acidrip_0.14-0.2ubuntu8_all.deb.html

or this one:

https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/14.04/ubuntu-multiverse-amd64/acidrip_0.14-0.2ubuntu7_all.deb.html

For Asunder and FLAC when you hover the mouse pointer over the settings it says “This does not effect quality” Is that true? I alwys thought you get the best audio quality when you don’t compress the file very much and if higher compression does not effect the audio quality why not just use the highest compression?

The way I understand it, all levels of compression with FLAC are lossless in terms of audio quality; however, the more you compress a file, the longer it takes to decode it. Have a look at this section of the Wikipedia article on FLAC. Even at the highest compression levels, it doesn’t look to me like it’s significantly slower.

I keep getting a “There was an error converting XX files” message but it does not say what the error was and I can’t find that asunder.log file, I have more then one var/log directory on my system and could not find the error log by searching for it in the filesystem directory. Also how do I get it to RIP to Mp3s? I can export to MP3 with Audacity so I assume my system has the proper drivers for MP3.

In Preferences -> Advanced, make sure you have the checkbox for logging to /var/log/asunder.log checked. I don’t recall ever getting any errors when ripping, but I suspect the log file location in Caja would be File System -> /var/log.

To change the file type (encoding) you rip to, just go Preferences -> Encoding and select what you want.

1 Like

I have the have the checkbox for logging to /var/log/asunder.log checked and can not find the file anywhere on my system.

Also it does not have the info for the track song names on almost every CD I put in, it just shows Unknown Artist for every field and I’ve tried Apollo 13 Soundtrack , Super Man Sound Aladdin Sound Track, Lion King Sound Track, Beetle Juice Sound Track and Elton John Greatest all well known popular Albums and artists. I have this set for the get disc information from the internet automatically option freedb.freedb.org

Audex is able to get all the track info on every CD I load in my CD Drive without incorrect info but it only supports FLAC, WAV and ogg and I need AAC support.

Thanks

I think I figured it out I had to uncheck Use HTTP proxy to connect to internet.

1 Like

Hi @daldude,

can we mark this as solved now?. :smiley: