GPG Error after trying to upgrade wine

I was trying to upgrade Wine but failed and got the error shown. It shows when I try sudo apt update

any ideas on how to undo the mess I've created?

invariably whenever I try to do stuff with wine, I mess things up. The Repository listed doesn't actually contain the entry for dl.winhq.org at all. By the way the whole reson for trying to upgrade wine is that the installed version is not available to open my stand alone flash player so I can play Cat Bowling, lol. The wine does not show in the Open with other application window... So that part is still broken. The wine I installed or thought I installed was after I had finished installing Ubuntu MATE 22.04 the other week.

I trashed the dl.winhq from the /etc/apt/sources/list.d and that SEEMS to have fixed the problem. But still cannot run my wine apps.

1 Like

Thanks @ricmarques for adding the tags, I forgot! Have you any idea how to reinstall or upgrade from 6.2 to 7.0 wine?

2 Likes

Hi, @mickee (Brian Bogdan).

You wrote:

You're most welcome :slight_smile:

Well, I haven't ran Wine in Ubuntu / Ubuntu MATE in the last several years. The best I could find about upgrading Wine to version 7.0 in Ubuntu 22.04 was the following web page:

https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

... and, in particular, the following part of that web page:

" (...)

Ubuntu 22.04 and Wine stable

There are no stable packages for Ubuntu 22.04 yet. Ubuntu Jammy Jellyfish did not exist when Wine 7.0 was released. There will be stable packages whenever 7.0.1 comes out.

On September 28, 2022, release candidate 1 of wine 7.0.1 was submitted to the winehq gitlab for review. (...)"

By the way, I see that same "Ubuntu WineHQ Repository - WineHQ Wiki" web page mentions the GPG Error that you got and gives a solution for it:

" (...)

Winehq key problems

Currently, the Wine servers are being synchronized. This means that some users still getting the older .sources file. If you get this warning, edit the winehq-.sources file and replace /usr/share/keyrings/ to /etc/apt/keyrings/.

For example: sudo sed -i s@/usr/share/keyrings/@/etc/apt/keyrings/@ /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources

I hope that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was able to install wine. Followed a step by step article. Sorry don't remember where. If I find it I will add it to this reply. No errors btw and now on Wine 7. The article was a Jammy Jellyfish one. No GPG error, so I assume Wine fixed that?