Grey screen on startup?

I see this weird grey screen with a dark grey border every time I start my computer. It shows up before the login screen (or before the HDD decrypt screen if I chose to encrypt my drive).

It happens in Ubuntu Mate 16.04 and 15.10. It happens on my laptop and 2 desktops. It happens whether I install as Bios or UEFI. It happens whether or not I encrypt the HDD or home folder.

This grey screen does not show in Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, or Linux Mint Mate.

I checked the integrity of my 16.04 DVD and also extracted the ISO and checked the sha256 hash.

Is this grey screen normal?

Hi @soft88dvd0000,

do you only have Ubuntu Mate installed?, if you do, then it is more or less normal!. :smiley:

If you want to see Grub menu with only a single OS installed:

2 Likes

Thank you Wolfman for your answer!

Do you know if there is a setting I can change to skip the grey screen completely? Sorry if you already wrote this in your guide (I could not find the setting for this).

How come Ubuntu Mate shows this screen when Ubuntu and other flavors do not?

Hi @soft88dvd0000,

I don’t know to be honest, maybe this will help or somebody on the forum may have an answer for you?:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Plymouth

1 Like

I believe it’s some bug that means that the splash screen (Plymouth) isn’t kickstarted soon enough. The grey screen should disappear after the kernel is loaded, but at the moment it’s nearly finished booting by the time the splash appears … :turtle:

If any one knows the solution, then I’m sure @Wimpy would be pleased to know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The grey draws from the bottom the to top quite slowly. I reduced this delay by removing the # in front of the GRUB_GFXMODE (see wolfman’s guide).

BTW, post 2 is incorrectly flagged as a solution.

1 Like