I'm trying to set up a dual boot on a newly assembled desktop. Windows & UM both install and run fine. But the UM installer, Grub after the installation, and os-prober all can't "see" the Windows install. Various combinations of Windows 10/11 & UM 20.04/21.10 yield the same results.
I'm ready to chalk it up to something about the still rather new hardware architecture (LGA1700/Z690 & PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives) not "playing well with others." rEFInd installed without issue and works, so I'm inclined to just switch. But, thought I'd ask here in case my symptoms scream "fatal hardware issue" (or "boneheaded operator error") to someone and I'm just too dense to see it.
So far, I've tried:
- Installing with all combinations of Secure Boot On/Off & CSM On/Off. All installs in UEFI mode.
- Windows partitions check out OK with file system checks in both Win and UM
- Did partiton checks in gparted (because one post said it magically fixed their problem)
- Fast boot and hybrid shutdown are turned off in Windows. All windows shutdowns are complete shutdowns.
- EFI partition looks correct
- boot-repair didn't do anything.
I'd considered hand jamming a Windows entry in Grub, but its been a long time since I've done that and if it was going to come to that, I'd rather just switch bootloaders if there's no systemic issues indicated.