GRUB2 theme change

Hello, I downloaded and installed a new theme for grub2. Also I used a program called Grub Customizer. I edited a bit the pics of the new theme and saved.

Then I rebooted, and saw the default ubuntu mate theme. I went to check grub.cfg and noticed that it has all the necessary information about the new theme. I did sudo update-grub anyway, to make sure it worked. I rebooted again, and still I saw the default theme.

Why cant I change it? Grub.cfg clearly stated that the new one is in use, with all other settings I chose in Grub Customizer, for example the seconds that it shows the menu etc.

So, I’m not sure.
It was working with the new theme before you edited the pics?

I dont know, I didnt try. It looks like something is forcing the default theme even though cfg file is pointing to new theme.

See comment #4 for possible fix:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/grub-customizer/+bug/1505494

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

I think it is not what this is about. Its from year 2015, and I dont anyway have grub.cfg.new without grub.cfg being updated, but my grub.cfg is updated.

You made sure there’s no script code inside of the submenu in grub.cfg? Well, it was worth a shot anyway.

Yepp, I checked, and it confirmed what I thought.

Google “Grub Customizer”. PPA is available.:thumbsup:

I am using it now, but it doesnt seem to work. I even installed a grub2 theme, but still the default is in use :((

1 Like

johnnyrevival,

This should help. The process is complicated.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1534689

The grub guide is here.

Andy

Could you try re-installing the theme? In other words: try it without modifying the pics so you know that Grub Customizer and the theme work as intended. If it works, then proceed to edit the images, keeping in mind that they have to be correct size and format:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Displays#Troubleshooting_Splash_Images

This is part of “eliminating possible causes” approach, quite useful when the culprit cannot be pointed out straight away.

1 Like

Well, thanks for all your help. I decided to go easy way and edited default theme. THEN it gave an error message stating my .png file used unsupported interlacing, which I went to change and now it works. Its sooo cool now, a bit childish but cool, I have a C.I.A Terminal grub boot menu, where are my Ubuntu-MATE and Windows 10 OS’s.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am facing the same problem!

I installed Ubuntu Mate and now I want to change the GRUB background color.
Nothing I do in /etc/default/grub (including the changes made automatically by Grub Customizer) seems to have an effect. (Of course I am running update-grub afterwards.)

It seems that only the entries in /etc/default/grub like

GRUB_DEFAULT="saved"
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT="true"
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE="menu"
GRUB_TIMEOUT="2"

have an effect. But any changes trying to set the background color have no effect.

johnnyrevival, you said you solved it by editing the default theme. Where do I do this?

Thanks.

I'm not johnnyrevival, but I can contribute the page below. Please see -

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MaintenanceFreeCustomGrub2Screen

It is good for all your grub modification needs. Good luck @Linus.

Thanks for your reply. I checked the page and tried what is suggested there:

Editet /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme and put the

echo " set color_normal=cyan/black"
echo " set menu_color_normal=yellow/black"
echo " set menu_color_highlight=red/black"

after line 122 as described.

Then I did sudo update-grub and rebooted: no effect.
I also tried sudo ubdate-grub2: no effect.

:frowning:

Right before "Editing /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme", see the paragraph entitled "Setting up a Grub background picture". There it says "It is because of the existence of the picture that grub uses the font colors in /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ." You need to put a suitable graphic in boot/grub/.

I don't want a picture. I just want the background to be black...
Is that asked too much? Do I have to create a black png and set it as background??

If you just want the supplied MATE theme to be ignored, open /etc/default/grub as root and do the following edits:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="" omit quiet splash between the quotes
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="text" add text here between the quotes
and:
GRUB_TERMINAL=console uncomment by deleting #

That should cover all bases. Good luck Linus.

2 Likes

Excellent! This is exactly what I wanted. Thanks a lot! You made my day. :smiley: