Has anyone succeeded installing Darktable on Ubuntu Mate 16.04 PowerPc?

Exhausted the ways of installing Darktable on Ubuntu Mate 16.04 PowerPC on my PowerMac G5 dual 2.3GHz and Nividia Geforce 6600.

Darktable is listed under Ubuntu Software Centre/Graphics/Photography but “More Inflo” says “Not found, There isn’t a software package called “darktable” in your current software sources.”

Tried to add ppa to APT Lines on “Other Software”

ppa:pmjdebruijn/darktable-release

or:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pmjdebruijn/darktable-release/ubuntu xenial main deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/pmjdebruijn/darktable-release/ubuntu xenial main

then ran: sudo apt-get update

but makes no difference (and I did try log out and log in again).

Also tried:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pmjdebruijn/darktable-release

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install darktable

The first two went okay but last one came out with “package not found”.

So if you did succeed, can you shared your way of installing Darktable on Ubuntu Mate 16.04 PowerPC?

Thank you!

It looks like there are no PPC builds in that PPA, hence “package not found”.

We’ll get Darktable removed from PPC listings.

It might be possible to compile the source code on a PowerPC, but I haven’t used this app to know if it supports PPC or had some dependencies not available.

Thanks maximouscore for the insight.

Lah7- thank you for your attention on this. I use Adobe Lightroom on Windows a lot and I like it so much.
From what I have read Dartable is very similar to Lightroom and it will be excellent if I can use that on my PowerPc.
I installed Ubuntu 16.04 and Lubuntu 16.04 on my 2003 IBM ThinkPad T42 with forcepae. I installed Darktabl but could not launch it. May be it has to be on 64 bit CPUs.

Thank you again!

1 Like

Darktable only has packages for i386 and amd64 (32-bit and 64-bit PCs):

$ rmadison darktable
 darktable | 0.9.3-2ubuntu1 | precise/universe | source, amd64, i386
 darktable | 1.4-2          | trusty/universe  | source, amd64, i386
 darktable | 1.4.2-1build2  | vivid/universe   | source, amd64, i386
 darktable | 1.6.8-1        | wily/universe    | source, amd64, i386
 darktable | 2.0.3-1        | xenial/universe  | source, amd64, i386
 darktable | 2.0.4-1        | yakkety/universe | source, amd64, i386

That’s according to the official Ubuntu archives.

It will have been a mistake the Software Boutique’s database states it has packages for PowerPC. I didn’t add this, but sorry about that. Applications that are not supported on that computer are not shown.

When things don’t launch, have a look at the terminal (CTRL+ALT+T) for some clues on errors that are stopping it from working:

darktable

Thank you lah7 again for your attention.

I aslo found the same happens for "Chromium Web Browser " in the same distro.

I was doing some tests yesterday, the new release of Welcome/Boutique will address software with missing packages under certain releases/codenames.

I recall Chromium… I can’t remember (nor near my computer) to check if it’s powerpc or ppc64el (64-bit PPC) that were missing.

I tried to install Darktable again from the Welcome and the Boutique, but still show “package not found”.

Thank you very much for the continuous effort. I will live with the RawTherapee for the moment.

There hasn’t been any updates pushed out for Welcome yet. :wink:

Darktable doesn’t have any packages at all, and it looks like it’s incompatible with PowerPC. Even installing it “from scratch” (compiling it from source) is out of the question. :frowning:

Here’s one of the comments I came across on their blog from Jan 2013:

An UB version will be welcome, still working on a PPC Mac with pleasure.

The response was:

We rely on the presence of SSE instructions, so it won’t even compile for PPC. Plus first supported OS X version by our DMG package is 10.6, which already doesn’t support PPC. So what you ask won’t happen.

Thank you again and I fully understand .

On my IBM Thinkpad T42 (Penrtium M 1.7 GHz, 2 GB RAM) loaded with Lubuntu 16.04 (the only distro works with “forcepae”). it shows “SSE3 is needed or change CPU” when “Darkatable” is execeuted on terminal. I guess the only way now for me to try Darktable is to dual boot my Wondows 7 PC (4790K, 32GB RAM and Geforece 980) with Ubuntu. However I already have Lightroom installed on the Windows so it would be redundant.

I am spending time to try out RawTherapee on the PowerPC and it seems to be very good.