Having problems getting MATE up and running

I just installed MATE from a Ubuntu Server 18.04 Cloud Image and im having all sorts of problem.

I nstalled Ubuntu-Mate from tasksel.

When MATE started up i didnt have a login screen.
I then went into Software & Updates. When trying to change something it saids:

You are not allowed to perform this action
You don't have the required privileges to perform this action.
org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.Error.Failed: ('system-bus-name', {'name': ':1.83'}): org.debian.apt.update-cache

I then installed Welcome screen and software-boutique​ because it was missing:
snap install --classic ubuntu-mate-welcome
snap install --classic software-boutique

I then rebooted but they didnt show up in the menus, but welcome screen showed up, so i entered the software-boutique from there.

Depending on what i click on it saids:

org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.Error.Failed: ('system-bus-name', {'name': ':1.70'}): org.debian.apt.install-or-remove-packages
or
org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.Error.Failed: ('system-bus-name', {'name': ':1.70'}): org.debian.apt.upgrade-packages

I can't apply any of the fixes for my sourcelist or broken packges in there

I checked for 'PolicyKit Authentication Agent' in the Startup Apps to see if it was there.
And there was a entry '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/polkit-mate/polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1'
How ever running:
sudo /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/polkit-mate/polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1
from the Terminal gives me:

(polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1:2450): polkit-mate-1-WARNING **: 11:05:47.527: Unable to determine the session we are in: No session for pid 2450

I then went into Control Center to check 'Login Window'. However clicking it didnt do anything.

Just for my edification (maybe there is a good reason): why try to install a desktop environment from a server image, using server tools? Isn't that asking for problems from things left out? Why not install Ubuntu Mate 18.04.5 directly?

1 Like

Its in a hosting center. The Ubuntu Server Cloud Image comes preinstalled with the virtual machine.
I start out with a web interface to the server that is outside of the VM, so its like installing everything local. I could run the Ubuntu Mate installation from the terminal on the preinstalled version if that makes it better.

Ubuntu MATE 18.04 goes EOL in April.

Hi :slight_smile:
Did you checked lightdm during the installation ?

I also found that url that can help :

Yes i seleted Ubuntu MATE and lightdm inside tasksel

The rest on that guide is just different desktops

I found the problem. VNC connected to the wrong display and was missing authentication.

sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

# vncpasswd /etc/vncpasswd

# tail /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
[VNCServer]
enabled=true
command=/usr/bin/Xvnc -rfbauth /home/paperspace/.vnc/passwd
port=5901
width=1920
height=980
depth=24
1 Like