Help Downloading Ubuntu Mate 15.10

So I am new to the community.
I have known about Linux and Ubuntu for a number of years now and have only recently gotten a break from school to where I can more fully dive deeper into the community and life.
So, I stumbled upon this version of Ubuntu and got interested in having this be the OS for my new Pi 2 or Pi Zero. Only problem is, I can’t seem to find the way to download this that doesn’t involve Torrent.
So I need help on just where I can go to download the image file so I can slap it into one of my micro SD cards and get a few projects going.
I would really like to have this version of Ubuntu, but I really don’t want Torrent. And unless I really have to download and use Torrent, I would need help on download/installation.
Thank you all, and have a nice day.

Perhaps you use windows - if so check out Deluge

Sadly I have no experience using Torrents on windows

Why don’t you just use utorrent to download the image and then delete it? It’s not illegal and you could remove it right away.

I tried looking for the direct download online, but all the results lead to the same page for 16.04 saying that it was coming soon.

I’ll give this a try. I still feel as though I will be a baby taking it’s first steps.

1 Like

I know, but I just grew with the association that Torrent went hand-in-hand with illegal downloading, and that the first and only time that I would be associated with Torrent, than I would get into trouble with it,

Hi Invisibleman

A bit torrent client (Transmission) is included in the Mate installer, nothing illegal with this at all. Disscussions about torrents are welcome.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BitTorrent

However, disscussions on how to use torrents for illegal downloads is not allowed in this forum.

2 Likes

Hi @Invisibleman,

as a beginner, please see the following guide too:

1 Like

If you’d prefer to try 16.04 there are direct http download options

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to use 16.04, but to no success. The few times that I managed to get a boot screen, it either ran into panic mode and discarded the kernel (paraphrasing), or would stop randomize and would stop at a time marker for the booting process.
I’ve just been beating my head against a brick wall for 5 days now with nothing to show.

I applaud your diligence :relaxed: Sadly I don’t have a Rpi - Hopefully someone having pi experience can help you.

It’s not so much diligence as it is being stubborn.
The intention is to have this on my Raspberry Pi 3 as this seems to be one of the better options for a 64 bit board. And some earlier posts seemed promising that it would be a promising lead to SSH into the system, and SSH into other systems/devices.
It may just be best to sit on this for a while until more people with a Rpi downloading from a Windows environment come forward with any difficulty.
At the very least, I do have Ubuntu on a flash drive that I can use to boot from USB and put all of this on a SD card if there is a full proof method to doing such.

The 15.10 links for the Raspberry Pi images were missing the past few days and have returned.

There’s also now a new Download page to make it easier to find the download you want. :slight_smile: