Help for new installation : no desktop/login screen

Hi there,

I’ve been trying to install Ubuntu Mate on my new desktop machine but so far I’m unable to make it work. I’ve installed Mate on several machines in the past and never got any problem.

The machine is a Dell OptiPlex 5040, which was delivered with Windows 7. I guess it should have been possible to order it with Ubuntu already, but I’m not in charge of that, so… It seems Dell has a good record in terms of linux compatibility, so I was not expecting to much trouble.

I initially did an install of Mate 16.04 with manual partitioning, removing Windows in the process. During the installation nothing wrong seems to happen, but when I restart the computer the login screen never appears. I just have the Mate background, and that’s it. The situation is similar if I chose “Try Mate” instead of install, I never get to see the desktop. However, I can right click, and open a terminal. Then I can do stuff quite normally it seems (haven’t tested too much though).

So I did another new install/try with the same setup, but same problem, no login screen or desktop. After that I switched to the version 17.04 but that doesn’t fix the issue. I even get an additional issue with this version, the first reboot is never completed, I need to force the shutdown after being stuck with the following error message (I’m not sure both issues are related):

Namespace lookup failure
ACPI exception: AE_NOT_FOUND SSDT:DELL_SFF while loading table
1 table load failures 8 success

or someting like that.

In fact I’ve realized that, when arriving to where the login screen should show up, I can act as it was there. I type my password, and arrive to the invisible desktop, like when I just try without installing.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Maybe is not that the problem, but what utility are you using to made the bootable USB?

Have you try change it?

Hey, thanks for the suggestion, but I already tried installations with 2 different methods. For the usb. I’ve used rufus on windows and the ubuntu disk creator, but no difference at the end.

Anyy other suggestions ?

I installed the “normal” Ubuntu 16.04, and everything is ok with the Unity desktop. It’s still ugly, but present and working. And I obtain the same result for Xubuntu 16.04. However, if I install the Mate DE (mate-desktop-environment package) on Ubuntu I face the same issue than with the Mate version.

The invisible desktop problem is also present if I install Ubuntu Gnome. So the problem seems to be related to the Gnome desktops in general ?!

Unlucky, it’s my favorite DE, by far…

I have been attempting to install 16.04.3 LTS and all I get is the welcome dialog box also. GNOME desktop is not loading.

It may be related to the fact that after I install the distro, I am prompted to restart, but the restart fails. I get this error:

[0.026759] ACPI Error: [_SB_.PCIO.XHC_.RHUB.HS11] namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND (20160930/dswload-210)

[0.019570] ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, during name lookup/catalog (20160930/psobject-227)

[0.019670] ACPT Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, (SSDT:xh_rvp08) while loading table 20160930/tbxfload-228)

[0.026141] ACPI Error: 1 table load failures, 5 successful (20160930/tbxfload-246)

I did load Ubuntu 16.04 (Unity) and it seems to be working fine, except I also seem to be having trouble with the GRUB2 loader. I cannot use the arrows to select anything but Ubuntu for Ubuntu 16.04 or Ubuntu-MATE 16.04.3 LTS

I have downloaded the GRUB2 repair tool and run it, but it has not helped here either.

I have been using a Zorin distro on another machine and really want to make the switch to MATE on my new machine (POWER SPEC B661*) Please advise!

Intel Core i5-6500 Processor 3.20GHz
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
16GB DDR4-2133 RAM
2TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
Intel HD Graphics 530
ASUS 24x DVDRW Drive

PS: I have decided against a dual-boot on the same harddrive - I got a separate internal HD to run Linux on but at the moment, my Linux is running on the same HD as the Win7, which I am unable to access due to the GRUB2 issue.

Update:
I ended up installing Ubuntu MATE 16.04.3 LTS on my computer previously running Zorin 9 - my AMD Athlon™ II X2 25 × 2 with ASUS M4A78LT-M LE motherboard and it works just fine.

I am guessing the issue I experienced on my other machine listed above is apparently due to the motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDV

I have the MSI H110M Pro VH Plus and Megatrends H110M blabla at home and at work different Megatrends/Asus/MSI H110M …, basically, all the same from my point of view(which is the price :grin:), so 5 computers with this type of motherboard = no problem at all with Ubuntu-MATE

Just a thought, you have one AMD cpu m/board and the other is an intel board, have you tried using a OS for an intel installation