[HELP]Upgrading to 15.04 broke my system pretty much

I know,I might be posting in the wrong section(98% chances.)

But first of all,I got to say “Hello” to this community,I’m quite new to Linux,and I love it more then I’ve been expecting.
For now,I have ran into a problem… I updated my distro to 15.04 from 13 I think(I had Ubuntu Mate on a CD from a few months ago,and finally decided to give it a try).

I updated it via Terminal with the help of this tutorial.

And now when I open my laptop,I get some errors “A program is not working”(something similar to this) and 2 buttons,which are “Close”(Or cancel) and “Report problem”(As a good citizen that I am,I reported all of them Dx).

My Wifi signal icon that is located in the task bar is … Offline,showing 0 lines,and that I have no internet connection(but its actually working).
I can’t set my desktop brightness… neither I am able to take a screenshot of my desktop via PrtSc button.
And many more similar things like this…

If a mod could move this to a section where its belongs,I would be more then pleased.
Have a nice day and thanks for the according time,I’ll leave more reply’s with extra info if needed.

Edit : And by the way,“Enable Networking” is offline for me as well :).

Welcome, you’ve come to the right place. :slight_smile:

You say you upgraded from 13.04 (or 13.10) to 15.04 – are you sure? Ubuntu MATE was only introduced for 14.04, so is this an Ubuntu + MATE install? 15.10 is also the latest version, in case you mean this version.

“Program has stopped working” dialog

If it’s a dialog that appears with the checkbox to send a bug report, that’s apport. One of the programs or services running on your system had crashed, and you’ve got the opportunity to see why it’s crashed and which one it was. Sometimes this message can be harmless, it depends what exactly had crashed. If it persistently pops up, then we’ve got a problem.

Network Applet Problems

I’ve had some odd quirks going on in 15.10 with the network applet, but not in 15.04. I’m not certain why this is happening. When “Enable Networking” disappears for me, I enter this to restart the problematic service:

sudo service network-manager restart

Loss of Keyboard Shortcuts (PrintScr / Brightness)

I’m thinking there’s been a misconfiguration that has cleared your keyboard shortcuts. This leads me to a solution for you to try:

[Try this]: New User Profile or Guest Session

Your home directory contains a lot of configuration files for your settings and user environment. There could be a chance that when you upgraded, there’s been a mix and match of old and new files. Try creating a new user account and/or log in as a guest session to see if these problems still occur. Remember to backup your personal data!

By the way, I would describe your system “a mess” then “broken” – I’m sure upgrades have landed in serve disasters :wink:

Personally speaking my experience with the upgrade from 15.04 to 15.10 was not good. I recommend a rewrite. In terms of the time it takes it is, in my experience, less time than the upgrade. A fresh write with UM 15.10 should go without a hitch and you’ll have a nice shiny system. Just make sure you copy all of your personal files to usb stick first.

Back,I reinstalled the my OS,yes it is Ubuntu Mate and its version 14.04 not 13 as I said in the first post.
I understand what “program has stopped working” means but its floods my desktop as soon as I start my computer,which I guess most of the startup apps crash instantly.

The keyboard short-cut worked only for the printscreen,still I couldn’t rise/lower my desktop brightness in any way(I used to add the brightness icon to my main panel,and manage it from there).
Right now,I’m going for a reinstall again,'cause this is crazy,totally broke.

As soon as I’ll get a clear DVD,I’ll get a clean 15.10 install.
At the moment,I’ve lost all my USB’s memory sticks XD.

Tell me about it! I have approximately 4 usb sticks hiding somewhere in the damn house!

Upgrading from Ubuntu MATE versions prior to 15.04 is not supported because those were unofficial releases.

You can upgrade from 15.04 to 15.10 but not from 14.04 to 15.10.

I have to say, Martin, that I upgraded from 15.04 to 15.10 and it broke my system. I can’t be certain, but I think it was due to some problem with the driver for my amd GPU card.

I did a clean install,and now everything works great,only small bugs here and there :).