Hi-res audio configuration for laptop

Hi everybody.

I've just bought Fiio KA1 USB-C DAC. I'm going to use it mostly with my phone, but also want sometimes to use it with my Lenovo laptop. The DAC supports PCM: 384KHz/32bit. But when I connected the DAC to my laptop I found due to the led colour that it works at PCM <=48KHz.

How can I find the capability of the audio in my laptop? Does it support PCM above 48KHz? And if yes, how can I configure my audio in laptop for higher quality?

P.S. Forgot to add my system - Ubuntu Mate 20.04

I've just bought Fiio KA1 USB-C DAC. I'm going to use it mostly with my phone, but also want sometimes to use it with my Lenovo laptop. The DAC supports PCM: 384KHz/32bit. But when I connected the DAC to my laptop I found due to the led colour that it works at PCM <=48KHz.

That is expected for two reasons:

1. your sourcematerial is 48kHz so upsampling is useless (it won't give you better quality but only consumes more cpu cycles per second)

2. Pulseaudio, the (soundserver in Ubuntu) is fixed on 44.1kHz and 48kHz
    (because sourcematerial recorded in higher samplerates is extremely rare)

How can I find the capability of the audio in my laptop? Does it support PCM above 48KHz?

Yes, see this:

And if yes, how can I configure my audio in laptop for higher quality?

You can't.

You can configure it for a higher samplerate but sourcematerial in 48kHz will not sound better if you resample it to 192 or 384 kHz.
(unless your D/A converter is crap, which I assume is not the case)

Look at it this way:
If you have a picture of 640x480 , it won't get better or more detailed if you enlarge it to 1440x1080. It stays actually the same (minus conversion losses).
It is the same for audio.

2 Likes

I have hi-res audio sources: 24 bits 96Mhz and 24 bits 192MHz. Other way I didn't ask about the output configuration.

How to configure 192Mhz and 24 bit in Ubuntu Mate? I tried and nothing changed to me?

Also I found a topic in other forum where was show a script that shows all supported formats by audio card.

I have hi-res audio sources: 24 bits 96Mhz and 24 bits 192MHz. Other way I didn't ask about the output configuration.

192 Megahertz ? are you sure ? :wink:

How to configure 192Mhz and 24 bit in Ubuntu Mate? I tried and nothing changed to me?

Read this for explanation how to do that

Also try to open a terminal and try these commands for more info:
man 5 default.pa
and
man 5 pulse-daemon.conf
and ofcourse the general manpage:
man 1 pulseaudio

Documentation is here

Also I found a topic in other forum where was show a script that shows all supported formats by audio card.

Perfect ! I hope it serves you well :slight_smile:

If you think that other people also could benefit from it, you could paste a link to that script here in
this forum.

1 Like

Ofcourse KHz. )))) My mistake. )))

1 Like

I've sold my problem. )))
Some time past before I understand that I need a bitperfect to stream music to a USB DAC via USB without any conversion and resampling. So, I installed Audacious player and configure an audio output.

3 Likes