? Hide user list during login?

Hi there!

I am running Ubuntu Mate 22.04.1 LTS.
My question:

How can I hide the user list during the login?

At the moment, the name of (the last logged) user is shown, and her password is asked.

What I want:
I have to enter my user name first, and my password second.

No other user should know any other user name, only her own.

Thank you for assistence!

1 Like

Welcome @Dusterbraut to the community!

UM uses lightdm for login. I found a somewhat older method here

I suspect it will still work fine, but my apologies that I don't have time to test this just now. But it is only changes to a few text config files, so you should be able to test and reverse easily if it doesn't work right. Just keep a backup version of any file you alter. Even if you really messed up the config, remember you can always correct from one of the command line terminals. (Ctrl-Alt-F1 to Ctrl-Alt-F6)

Please post again with what you find out, or if you need more help.

4 Likes

Did not work for me. Ubuntu 22.04.02 LTS user. Tried the above instructions and after reboot, all I had was the Guest Login showing up at the login page. No other users shown, and no option to type in a user name. sp O ould not figure a way to login with my regular account. Ended up having to boot using a USB thumbdrive with Ubuntu-mate bootable image, and manually go back an reverse out the changes. Reboot and was able to login by selecting my regular user account.

1 Like

Welcome @mjb32803 to the community!

Hi, @mjb32803 ,

the solution works fine with lightdm arctica-greeter in Ubuntu MATE 23.04. Ubuntu MATE 22.04 uses same greeter by default.
greeter-hide-users=true --> this option hides user list.
greeter-show-manual-login=true --> this option adds a field for typing a username, it does not appear automatically.

2 Likes

Worked!
Thanks much.

2 Likes