How can I check to verify my Ubuntu MATE OS is encrypted?

Is there some way I can easily make sure?

If you are using Full Disk Encryption (FDE) you won't be able to boot without first entering a password.
If you get to your user login screen or your desktop without having to enter a password first, then you are not using FDE.

If you mean Home directory encryption, then open a terminal with CTRL+ALT+T and type in the command:

df -h .

If you are using Home directory encryption, the output of the command should show a directory ~/.Private, like in this screenshot:

1 Like

So with FDE the entire partition/ hard drive is encrypted and inaccessible and with home directory encryption only the home directory is inaccessible without a user password?

More or less, yes.
See here for more info:

1 Like

You should do both FDE and home directory encryption to be secure.
Once you computer is booted, your disk is unencrypted and access to your home could be possible unless you encrypt your home directory too. Your directory will be unencrypted if you leave your interactive session opened even with the screenlock active. Anybody gaining access to the running computer with your user online would see all your stuff.

Regards,
BT

Another way to check is to pretend to be a hacker and break into your own system. You can do that by booting a live session of Ubuntu MATE and check on how you can mount your drive in the Disks utility.

If the whole drive is encrypted, you’ll need the password to unscramble the data.
If just the home folder is encrypted, you’ll see a README file in your home folder.

1 Like