How can I increase USB drive speed

I have notice some of my thumb drives preform much better than others. I have a Silicon Power USB 3.1 that is just awful. Is there anything I can do besides not purchase SP drives in the future?Clipboard

I found using a ntfs formatted disk was faster for me. You could try the same thing.

Not sure how to speed up a slow usb drive. I have personally found Scandisk to have the fastest speeds for myself. I have found Lexair to be the worst for speed. (2.0 only) There are a lot of online reviews too. You can use gnome disk utility to do a read/write test on an empty USB drive. Flash will eventually wear out from use or abuse.
https://www.flashbay.com/blog/usb-life-expectancy
"f you simply write data to a USB flash drive and put it away in a safe place for 10 years, it will work again and all the data will still be there.
But if you continue to use it over and over again, it will definitely wear out eventually."
"The life expectancy of a USB Flash Drive can be measured by the number of write or erase cycles. USB flash drives can withstand between 10,000 to 100,000 write/erase cycles, depending on the memory technology used.
When the limit is reached, some portion of the memory may not function properly, leading to lost of data and corruption. "
Most sites state what pallebone posted, NFTS is faster than FAT.

1 Like

Right SanDisk Extreme are very good.
Also I can recommend to ADATA UE700 Pro as before.

I have not noticed much difference in comparison of speed of format type. My particular example with the Silicon Power disk is FAT 32. I have two PNY, one XFS, the other FAT 32. They seem to preform nearly the same. Both are much faster than the FAT 32 SP disk. I was hoping the SP issue was some kind of driver issue. Maybe I should avoid SP in the future.